Top XC this morning.

All,

Just thought I would let you all know that Colin, Rob (Baydon Mowers), and I had an awsome XC flight this morning to Wantage, then Didcot Power Station, and then home a return route.

Air time was 1 hour 45 mins it was X wind and cold (I am told) LOL

Lesson for me today, stay alert always all of the time and fit strobe light. (I had a close call from a light Aircraft.) When I say close I mean 20 meters in front of me, banked fully over to the right.

In the air 20 meters at the converging speeds that we were both at was VERY VERY VERY close. The pilot must have been alseep.

Reality, me turning right would have done nothing to help the situation. I was just in hope that the pilot would see me in time.

SW :D

Airmiss report then Simon.

Did you file it?

Get the registration?

Did he see you and was the steep turn avoiding action?

Good job you weren't wearing heated trousers or you might have electricuted yourself and boiled a few pounds of poo in the process. :lol::lol:

Being serious for a mo' glad you are OK. Not a pleasant scenario.... :?

Hi Simon,

Im relieved that you are still with us and able to report this incident on the forum, to quote your words: "I had a close call from a light Aircraft. When I say close I mean 20 meters in front of me, banked fully over to the right in the air 20 meters at the converging speeds that we were both at was VERY VERY VERY close. The pilot must have been alseep."

It could have been a different subject heading, other than 'Near Miss'.

Obviously this incident compromised Rob's, Colin's and your safety.

Is it subject to an Airprox report? (Maybe Norman could advise)

If so, the Pilot of the light aircraft will be informed, if not already aware of this near miss.

See Ya Soon

Terry

Terry,

You can file an Airmiss report without a registration but it would probably have limited value in solving this incident. It may well make us more visible if the authority started to highlight and circulate our presence. They would be unlikely to do this though from the submission of one report.

It sounds as though this fella' did see Simon at the last minute and turned to avoid. At 20 meters he probably filled his pants and really frightened those on board.

In the open FIR there is little that a report could recommend really other than reminding everyone to keep their eyes open.

Another followup that we could initiate might be to produce a flier highlighting our operations and circulate it around all the airfields in the South of England; with email and PDF's shouldn't be too difficult. Flying clubs are quite good at pinning well made posters up on their ops room notice boards. Sounds as though I just talked myself into a job? :lol:

It is worth emphasizing the importance of lookout though that wouldn't have helped our Simon, the LAC driver just didn't see him by the sound of it.

The truth is, we are vulnerable and at the speeds we fly at you can consider yourself to be a stationary target for anything from a micro-light upward (one step up from a balloon :lol:).

Getting seen is about the best defence we have and nothing beats a strobe. When I get to my new property that lies just outside the RNAS Yeovilton ATZ (2.85nm from the reference point) I will be talking to the SATCO about my PPG operations. I have a few ideas based around a lightweight radar reflector that I would like to trial and he may well be interested in participating in the name of research.

All that said, Airmisses are still comparatively rare.

Norman wrote

"It is worth emphasizing the importance of lookout, the LAC driver just didn't see him by the sound of it. The truth is, we are vulnerable and at the speeds we fly at you can consider yourself to be a stationary target for anything from a micro-light upward (one step up from a balloon ). Getting seen is about the best defence we have and nothing beats a strobe. "

Can I add that "nothing beats a strobe as long as the other people are looking the right way". A strobe isn't a guarantee to get you seen.

Keep up your personal look out and if necessary, fly defensively.

Martin,

I agree, they must see you to avoid you. Flying defensively is certainly sound practice, if you see an aircraft that looks as though it may be on a collision course - maneuver! Get seen! Sure, a strobe doesn't arrive with a guarantee, but it does load the dice in your favour.

From either aircraft, any target that is on a constant bearing and the same level is the target they/you are going to hit. That fact makes seeing it/you that much more difficult.

If there is nothing about that target that is changing, no differentiation with the background ect, it can be very tough to see, particularly if it is hiding and growing behind a windscreen/canopy frame or even a riser for that matter. The eye picks up very quickly on movement and particularly flashing lights. That is why obstruction lights on masts and towers blink. A strobe provides just such a differentiation.

Again, to other aircraft we are virtually stationary and evasive action is only useful in that it changes the picture and perhaps attracts attention.

By the time something is seen by you as a clear threat, the reality is, that it is probably too late to do much about it. Simon's man saw him and avoided, if they were on a collision course, if he hadn't, they would have collided no matter what Simon had done imho.

I blanch sometimes when I think of GA pilots gazing lovingly at their GPSs and new weather radars as they hurtle through the open FIR. The gliding world have had collisions when people do the same with their toys/final glide computers and the other stuff hanging of clamps in their cockpits.

Nothing beats a good solid lookout, it has saved my skin on a number of occasions and forewarning of a threat stimulated increased lookout. Hence the briefing material about our presence in flying clubs and Military ops rooms.

Sorry to run on Martin, but if it makes anyone think then... :) And... airmisses are comparatively rare (thankfully).

Norman

I agree.

What I didn't want people to do was fit a strobe then get lulled into a false sence of security.

I haven't flown as many hours as you but I have had a number of close calls in GA aircraft.

Some other things to help would be:

Pilots are attracted to things that look nice from the air (crop circles, white horse etc) extra vigilance around these is required as they attract pilots like bees around a honey pot.

GA pilots also tend to stick to round numbers in terms of height/altitude, avoid flying constantly at x000' or x500'.

I'm sure there are others.

Martin