Reserve fuel

Phil_P

Well, I'm one of the (un)lucky ones whose motor conforms to UK air law, in that it holds less than 10 litres of fuel. Despite the fact that I'm losing weight, my fuel consumption therefore limits cross country flights (about 4 1/2 litres per hour.

So, I have come up with a possible 'work round'. I have bought four, 1 litre, aluminium camping fuel bottles, and will either stash them in pockets on the harness, or possibly secure them to my frame.

It will of course mean that I have to land to access the reserve, but by the time I'm doing adventurous cross countries and need the extra fuel, I should be competent at taking off again. Yes, I could probably come up with a 'plumbed in' fuel reserve, but I quite like my legality.

Anyone got thoughts on my solution, or other possible alternatives?

I like your idea but i think if your flying with fuel whats the difference whether its in your tank or in your harness??

If its ok to fly with fuel in your harness then why not have a oneway valve plumbed into the fuel line and have it to hand so you could connect up the res fuel to the valve wilst flying saves time and fuel burn taking off!!!

JUST A THOUGHT

I like your idea but i think if your flying with fuel whats the difference whether its in your tank or in your harness??

If its ok to fly with fuel in your harness then why not have a oneway valve plumbed into the fuel line and have it to hand so you could connect up the res fuel to the valve wilst flying saves time and fuel burn taking off!!!

JUST A THOUGHT

The reason is, in order for a paramotor (FLPPG) to meet the UK ANO exemption, it must only have a fuel capacity of less than 10 litres. As soon as you plumb in an extra tank, you exceed the maximum permissable. As has been discussed in depth here, and in other places, there are potentially severe ramifications in terms of insurance and prosecution in the event of an accident. As a load of extra fuel bottles clearly aren't part of the motor, then (to my way of thinking) they wouldn't breach the ANO.

As for changing my motor, not a hope in hell, I'm about spent up, and if SWMBO catches me spending any more I suspect it would be much worse than anything the CAA could throw at me.

Tis already apnen down yer een Deb'n. Got petrol waiting on Exmoor, half way in between here and there and out at Shebbear.

Just make neat fuel dumps in metal jerry cans and take small measured amounts of 2 stroke oil with you. It isn't good to have it premixed for too long. Some say 3 weeks.

Dave

Blinkin ek Phil, it's not that long since you took your fist giant steps and had ur 1st flight is it?. Now you have seem to come on leaps and bounds. (Having read your posts re sore fingers on long flights etc..)

Whats your secret? Most people take many months in a close environment before they dare contemplate doing cross countires, using cruise control, fitting transonders etc.

How do you find it flying alone from Newark with only 1 or 2 hops under your belt?

How did you deal with the inner demon so many pilots suffer from?

Felius

It probably helps that I've got 100+ hours P1 in light aircraft, so the actual act of flying feels completely natural. The reason I've moved to PPG's is that I have been longing to get back in the air, but finances have defeated me. Transponders, radios, navigation etc. are all stuff I'm used to. Thus far, it has only been the take-offs that have perturbed me, and confidence grows with every take off. Reverse launches have been the norm for me, as I could do with some instruction in forward techniques that don't overload my bad shoulder. I guess there is a very real danger of being over confident, but while I'm in the air, I tend to be very circumspect, very gentle on the controls and give myself a good altitude cushion, as I don't suddenly want to find that I'm touching the edge of my performance envelope. I'm also very aware of my surroundings, and always have a forced landing option planned, should things go quiet.

My cold hand flight the other day was great fun, as I flew out a distance, and then circumnavigated Newark. Electrically heated gloves are on my Christmas list though.

Incidentally, there are some offers in Lidl starting today, a quilted overall and a battery charger for all sorts of batteries are two of the items that might be useful to PPGers.

Well i'm trying to understand everything.

There are many abreviations that y dont understand.

Here in portugal we have luky.

They are steel trying to define paramotor and the low.

My deposite is of 16 liters of fuel and nothing is ugainst it.

About having bottles in pockets on the harness, or possibly secure them to frame y have friends that secure them abouve theyr fuel tank and make a litle emend o it. So they use first the fuel that is in the botles and only after they start using the fuel tank.

Sorry the english

Good flights

Brutus

The law in England requires the paramotor to have a fuel reservoir of no more than 10 litres. It is permitted to carry extra fuel in other reservoirs, but they must not be connected to the reservoir on the paramotor. I hope this poor translation makes sense.

A lei em Inglaterra exige o paramotor ter um reservatório do combustível de não mais de 10 litros. É permitida para carreg o combustível extra em outros reservatórios, mas não devem ser conectados ao reservatório no paramotor. Eu espero que esta tradução pobre faz o sentido.

'Was chatting to a fellah the other day who had been talking to the CAA's chief enforcement officer; he had watched him do his paramotor display at a venue and went over for a chinwag. The CAA chappie started discussing various paramotor type things with our brave display pilot who began to get just a little nervous as he was flying a PPG with a capacity that exceeded the 10 ltr limit by some margin.

After a while he (the pilot) raised the subject about fuel capacities and paramotors, the CAA man laughed and said, "yes, I thought you had a little over the 10 ltr limit but don't worry, it is a pointless limitation and we are minded to remove it soon."

Horses mouth? When is another question and what would happen if you had an incident with say... 17 ltrs aboard. Life was never easy was it? :lol:

• 14 years later...
On 11/6/2008 at 5:34 PM, Phil_P said:

Well, I'm one of the (un)lucky ones whose motor conforms to UK air law, in that it holds less than 10 litres of fuel. Despite the fact that I'm losing weight, my fuel consumption therefore limits cross country flights (about 4 1/2 litres per hour.

So, I have come up with a possible 'work round'. I have bought four, 1 litre, aluminium camping fuel bottles, and will either stash them in pockets on the harness, or possibly secure them to my frame.

It will of course mean that I have to land to access the reserve, but by the time I'm doing adventurous cross countries and need the extra fuel, I should be competent at taking off again. Yes, I could probably come up with a 'plumbed in' fuel reserve, but I quite like my legality.

Anyone got thoughts on my solution, or other possible alternatives?

I have just looked at the ANO, where is the fuel limit specified?