licences

Hi,

I know there is a BHPA scheme for paragliding training and they also grant a licence after training....my question is are there any disadvantages in going with a non affliated trainer?

Not all trainers are listed by the BHPA but for a sport where training isn't compulsory does that matter? (I'm not saying I think that training isn't important or indeed the way to go, it just isn't compulsory).

I'm based near Rugby in the Midlands and am looking to book some training.

cheers....Steve

Hi Steve, and welcome to the Paramotor Club. 

Just to clarify, the word 'licence' is the wrong one. There is no licence in the UK for piloting a Paramotor. 

The BHPA, the APPI and the PMC all issue 'club ratings'

It does not matter who's tent you instructor resides in its more important that you get on with your instructor and enjoy the learning process. 

A bit like driving... You will do the vast amount of your actual learning and skills development for the following couple of years after your training. :-)

Either way, hopefully we will see you at one of the events buzzing around in the future! 

SW :D

Just to clarify the standing of Paramotoring in the UK Steve, it is deregulated rather than unregulated.

As a pilot you still have to comply with all the rules of the air, so knowing these is important.

One advantage of training with the PMC is you don't need to learn to paraglide first.

Many many good pilots are non bhpa. I’m sure it has benefits mainly the insurance but you don’t have to feel pressured into going bhpa. their training isn’t any better or much different from the other good non bhpa schools. 
In Rugby you’re on Clive Mason’s doorstep, give him a call and have a chat🙂

• Like 3

11 hours ago, admin (Simon W) said:

Hi Steve, and welcome to the Paramotor Club. 

Just to clarify, the word 'licence' is the wrong one. There is no licence in the UK for piloting a Paramotor. 

The BHPA, the APPI and the PMC all issue 'club ratings'

It does not matter who's tent you instructor resides in its more important that you get on with your instructor and enjoy the learning process. 

A bit like driving... You will do the vast amount of your actual learning and skills development for the following couple of years after your training. :-)

Either way, hopefully we will see you at one of the events buzzing around in the future! 

Hi Simon , thanks for the welcome and for the reply,

I guess I misused the word "licence" and was also misguided as I thought only the BHPA issued club ratings...good to know. 

I understand completley your comment about enjoying the learning and getting on with any instructor...this is definitely my experience whilst BSAC scuba training and RNLI crew training...

Now....does anyone want to buy a Buell 1125cc motorbike to fund some training ? :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, richjones said:

Many many good pilots are non bhpa. I’m sure it has benefits mainly the insurance but you don’t have to feel pressured into going bhpa. their training isn’t any better or much different from the other good non bhpa schools. 
In Rugby you’re on Clive Mason’s doorstep, give him a call and have a chat🙂

Hi Richjones....cheers for the reply.

It's almost serendipity that CM is virtually on my doorstep!!...I plan on giving him a call or visiting the field over the weekend.

BTW, really enjoyed the blog of your PM experience on here.....:)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alan_k said:

Just to clarify the standing of Paramotoring in the UK Steve, it is deregulated rather than unregulated.

As a pilot you still have to comply with all the rules of the air, so knowing these is important.

One advantage of training with the PMC is you don't need to learn to paraglide first.

Hi Alan,

Fair point, and a good distinction between unregulated and deregulated.

17 minutes ago, Steven Gee said:

Hi Richjones....cheers for the reply.

It's almost serendipity that CM is virtually on my doorstep!!...I plan on giving him a call or visiting the field over the weekend.

BTW, really enjoyed the blog of your PM experience on here.....:)

I’ve not put anything on there for months. Might have to add a little update one of these days 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Steven Gee said:

Hi Simon , thanks for the welcome and for the reply,

I guess I misused the word "licence" and was also misguided as I thought only the BHPA issued club ratings...good to know. 

I understand completley your comment about enjoying the learning and getting on with any instructor...this is definitely my experience whilst BSAC scuba training and RNLI crew training...

Now....does anyone want to buy a Buell 1125cc motorbike to fund some training ? :)

Is it an XB12? 'seriously' the Buell XB 12 is a bike I regret selling!