Location, location, location

I live in Maine and seriously planing on learning paramotoring this year. I am looking to go electric for a couple of reasons but that is not my question.

I have scouted out my area for a radius of 25 miles. Trees, trees trees. The only hills are landfills and they are off limits (no paragliding). So our local airport which holds the greatest open swath in our great forest is allowing paramotoring off a grass strip. So, my question is, it it worth getting into the sport if I am limited in geographical area? If I am the type of pilot who likes to get up in the sky, will this arrangement be enough?

John

On 20/08/2021 at 13:25, spider2 said:

I live in Maine

Give us the airport name so we can look at the topography on google maps... I refuse to believe there wont be plenty of emergency landing spots to leapfrog over on any potential xc flights :)
 Your xc flights will be limited if you go electric ... Its not uncommon for some folks to remain close to their take-off point for a year or two anyway.

6 hours ago, Blackburn Mark said:

Give us the airport name so we can look at the topography on google maps... I refuse to believe there wont be plenty of emergency landing spots to leapfrog over on any potential xc flights :)
 Your xc flights will be limited if you go electric ... Its not uncommon for some folks to remain close to their take-off point for a year or two anyway.

Blackburn Mark. Look under my post for response to you. Thanks

looks like you have some wild country out there.
You would have your hands full crossing some of that terrain but its not insurmountable and it looks like you are spoilt for choice in places to explore from the air.
lots of your roadside clearings have power lines.
With reasonably tuned spot landing skills and some forward planning, I would say it is well worth it... At times you will have to fly high to keep within glide of landing spots... This can be a bit boring, low and slow is where most of the fun is at :) 
I often fly close to four hours... Battery would make the range radius quite frustrating for me in a place like that.

4 hours ago, Blackburn Mark said:

You would have your hands full crossing some of that terrain but its not insurmountable and it looks like you are spoilt for choice in places to explore from the air.
With reasonably tuned spot landing skills and some forward planning, I would say it is well worth it... At times you will have to fly high to keep within glide of landing spots... This can be a bit boring, low and slow is where most of the fun is at :) 
I often fly close to four hours... Battery would make the range radius quite frustrating for me in a place like that.

4 hours ago, Blackburn Mark said:

Thanks for the homework. Will take it all in very seriously.