Recomendation: Equipment for 86 kg - 200 km range

Hi all.. This is my first post. Ive beeing checking out paramotoring for a while and Im very interested in flying one in the near future.
Ive already searched for flight schools in my country to get me started.. but I was wondering about how much the equipment will cost me and, of course, I found out it depends of me and what im trying to achieve:

Im interested in long range "cross country" flights (200 kms/124 mi) in a straight line. To take off in spot A and then land in spot B (from highlands to beach). Refuel the next day and go back to spot A. Of course I know I wont be able to do this inmediately after I complete the training but with some effort, time and practice I know its doable. The speed or the time this trip takes is not too important for me. Im not interested in wild maneuvers or pylon racing... just a peacefull safe ride.

1629624009_ScreenShot2019-06-28at12_43_52PM.png.03be57cf973607a7c40fb5ce104b58ed.png

I weight 81 kg (179 lbs) but id like to take some few stuff with me so make it 86 (190 lbs). Im 39 and fairly strong, but Id prefer something light that wont hurt my knees. Ive beeing researching about the Top 80 but some people say it suits pilots up to 68 kg (150 lbs). Im 183 cms tall (6 ft) if that matters.

Id like recommendations of what the best and realible engine/paramotor/wing would be for this scenario.

Thank you all in advance, I appreciate your comments a lot.

Edited by Christian Dev
  • Like 1

Its a good solid dream and one most of us have but one that is seldom realised which is a shame.
Despite that I fly a machine that could do that (an old Baileys), Its heavy and I am getting old :)
Getting back into the air the following day is not a given and I may be stuck.
You look a good deal younger than me so you my find taking off in nil winds a snap :)

I tend to hear nothing but good things about the top 80...  I have never owned one but I would be surprised if you didn't need to carry some extra fuel to get 124 miles in still air (4 to 5 hours flight time at a guess)

Gear tends to be quite expensive but bargains can be had if you are patient , carful and know what you are looking for.

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments so far.. I did some math and it seems that what I would need is a 20 or more hp engine with a 3.4 or less liters per hour consumption. SKY 110 and EOS 100/150 seem to meet this criteria, are those good engines?

Edited by Christian Dev

I cant speak for the SKY 110... those numbers look good if they are accurate.
For comparison, I'm burning less than 2.5lph on a lower powered four stroke and you will find some motors burn more than 4lph.

Looking at the route on your map, that is some very demanding terrain 14000ft+
Utterly beautiful country but mountains can cause an awful lot of complex wind / weather conditions that are made all the more complex by our slow flight speeds and low sink rates.
In winter during a high pressure, you may get the odd window to shoot through with low convection  / thermal heating... one hell of an adventure that would be!

If you live on the coastal end of your map, you are likely to be in an excellent spot for smooth easy sea air... a good place to tune your skills before you venture inland :)

Hi Backburn,

At this time on fhe year, the weather is pretty stable and rainless for steady 6 months as im in the equator... I already reseached the winds and it seems that early in the morning theres almost no wind, while from mid day to the night winds flows to the north east... I guess having a tail wind on the return would help me climb? Most mountains can be cleared at 10000 ft (3000 mts). Mountan peaks here can reach 20000 ft but those are easily spotted and dodgable, there are none on my planned route tho. :)

Any ways im sure ill be learning and practicing at sea level until im confident enough to take off at the highlands.. Its not my intention to do something risky. Ill probably just fly arround at the begining and do incremental distances, but still id like to make sure Ive the correct equipment for when the time comes.

Image result for chimborazo desde el aire

Edited by Christian Dev

7 hours ago, Christian Dev said:

I guess having a tail wind on the return would help me climb?

Your climb will remain the same unless you find lift or sink, a tail wind will have you cover much more distance and in a head wind you will cover much less distance.
You may find high winds at high altitude where you may have a 60mph ground speed and cover 124 miles in a couple of hours, getting back would be very difficult though :)
Most of us prefer very light winds, (less than 10mph but ideally 0) they are less complex, allow us to fly close to the ground or close to mountains and make getting back to our take-off point easy.

You sound like you have a good attitude and will get to grips with what you are up against.
Reading weather is (in my opinion) the most complex part of the sport and doing it well can keep you out of some of some tricky situations, free-flight pilots are a good source of learning, especially those who fly the mountains. 

If you haven't already seen this series of videos, they will give you some insight into what is possible including a couple of mountain crossings (I think there are six videos in all)