Flying Weather Stats

Just wondered if anyone has done any stats (or even just has a rough guestimate) on how many flying days there are in the UK over a year for paramotor?

Every other day? Once ever couple of weeks? What do you thing it would average out at?

And also, what windspeed are you basing that on both in terms of max windspeed and max gust windspeed (as both reported on the metoffice app)?

I seem to see a lot of paramotors advertised 2nd hand that have very low hours on, so it just got me thinking, especially with having to plan to fit around work, family etc etc and wondering whether the ~8k of kit I'll need to buy is going to be good value?

Thanks

There are loads of flyable windows, I often find an hour at night on days that have been crap but you really have to be looking for them and jump when they appear. On the whole I have had 60 flights this year but only one in the last 3 weeks :( total pants. But Tuesday is lurking as a good morning to get out.

what I’m trying to say is although the weather can be crap if you look hard enough and monitor what’s going on there is loads of flying to be done. But at the same time occasionally you won’t get any for a while. On average I would say 2 days a week for me 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, paraflyer17 said:

Just wondered if anyone has done any stats (or even just has a rough guestimate) on how many flying days there are in the UK over a year for paramotor?

Every other day? Once ever couple of weeks? What do you thing it would average out at?

And also, what windspeed are you basing that on both in terms of max windspeed and max gust windspeed (as both reported on the metoffice app)?

I seem to see a lot of paramotors advertised 2nd hand that have very low hours on, so it just got me thinking, especially with having to plan to fit around work, family etc etc and wondering whether the ~8k of kit I'll need to buy is going to be good value?

Thanks

How often to anglers catch fish? Golfers get a good score?  

Any UK flying is fraught with weather issues...its a waiting game for long months some times.  But...when you finally get the flying day it's all worth it.  IF you spend the 8k on flying, you will sometimes fly. If you dont you will always be a groundling.  The choice is yours of course. 

Frankly the BIGGEST cause of not flying in my experience is driving time to the field, whether full on powered flight,  model flight, gliding, pg or ppg. If the car journey is a ballsache you will find yourself making excuses why yiu can't go.  If you spend the cash and get into flying (anything), find a location within an hours drive...(I know some drive longer, but plot the graph) and then to hell with the weather.  

Gusting 15 is what I go off. But if the forecast is a little over it is often worth getting to your launch site and see what condition actually are.

It’s also not all about the wind on the ground, you need to know what to look for In the sky. I could be 10mph on the ground but the wind gradient at 1000 ft could mean it’s 20mph plus and you won’t be able to go anywhere ( unless you are planning a one way trip in the direction of the wind)

im no expert, best bet is to start doing research into meteorology. It is a Huge subject and to understand enough for what we do will take a some time and will hopefully clear up your concerns about Uk weather, if you do decide to take up paramotoring (which you really should it is the best thing ever) it will have gotten you a head start on one part of the training.

Thanks again.

I've done some microlighting before, so aware of winds aloft and F214s. 

I was just trying to guage the difference between the two in terms of windspeed, but appreciate the winds aloft would be a bigger issue on a PM.

The takeoff winds above dont seem too much lower than what I'm used to though, so that is good news. I usually work on 10 gusting 20 but ONLY if it is straight down the strip, you have the advantage of being able to turn into the wind depending on your takeoff site. If it was crosswind I'd be on half of the above figure.

Thanks again - will keep an eye on Met Office and see how it compares in the coming weeks.