Hello, Starting from the Bottom - Need advice

Hello,

I have become interested in the Paramotor hobby and this post is literally the very beginning of my search for information.   I've watched a number of YouTube videos and am trying to absorb as much information as possible.

I am located in the USA, South Florida.

I'm wondering if there's a good book on Paramotoring that has good illustrations showing the various components and explaining what each cable and piece of hardware is for, what it does and how it works so I can study and learn before I purchase a Paramotor.   I am a licensed private pilot so I'm somewhat familiar with airspace and basic flight dynamics, but of course, nothing with non-rigid wings.

At this point I'm mostly interested in a trike style Paramotor as I'm in my late 50's and it just seems more comfortable.  But not sure.

I saw a video by FlightJunkies and he (of course) claimed his trikes were better than most and went on to describe (very convincingly) why so.   His free flight training is quite an offer it seems.

What Paramotor trikes are highly recommended for beginners?   What wing?

So many questions.

Thanks for your patience.

Randy

Edited by HangTen

Hi Randy, I second that. Jeff Goin and the bible is the best place to start. Jeff is a highly experienced and respected paramotor pilot but he is also a commercial airline pilot and helicopter pilot and aviation journalist. He has dedicated a lot of time and love to progressing the understanding and safety of this sport. 

With regards to training and buying gear, alarm bells should be ringing - if you do some research you will quickly discover that there are two well known knob jockeys in the USA who offer either ‘super’ training or ‘free’ training and they both think they sell the best gear.. they are both rather discredited I’m afraid. Enjoy their entertaining videos on YouTube but I’d suggest going elsewhere.

15 hours ago, Patrick1 said:

With regards to training and buying gear, alarm bells should be ringing - if you do some research you will quickly discover that there are two well known knob jockeys in the USA who offer either ‘super’ training or ‘free’ training and they both think they sell the best gear.. they are both rather discredited I’m afraid. Enjoy their entertaining videos on YouTube but I’d suggest going elsewhere.

That said can you dispel something?   FreshBreeze specifically claims....

1). The only crankshaft with roller bearings

2). Nikasil coated cyinders

3). 4 point flexible exhaust joints.

Are these really unique to FreshBreeze?   Those seem like very good points of quality?

Also,  other than a few complaints, I don't see much in the way of problems with FB other than one guy who probably tried tinkering with it but didn't know how to fix it and then blamed FB.

Is Capt Kurt lying about his safety record and number of students?   He claims around over 1200 students now and no accidents so far.   I can't find anything to dispute that.   But there's no way to verify the numbers.   He could claim any number of students.

TBH, he does come across as a slick used car salesman at times.   On the other hand, he seems very sincere and he doesn't have to offer free training, but he does.  It's difficult to sort it all out at times.

Edited by HangTen

Nikasil coatings and flexible exhaust joints are not unique to Fresh Breeze.

Having said that Fresh Breeze are a very reputable make, it is how the equipment is used that is sometimes questionable. In the UK it has become  a no-no to start your engine anywhere other than on your back, as that is the safest.

53 minutes ago, alan_k said:

Nikasil coatings and flexible exhaust joints are not unique to Fresh Breeze.

Having said that Fresh Breeze are a very reputable make, it is how the equipment is used that is sometimes questionable. In the UK it has become  a no-no to start your engine anywhere other than on your back, as that is the safest.

Which other brand has those?

What about roller crank bearings?

I'm going for the Trike so ground starting won't be an issue for me.

Edited by HangTen

26 minutes ago, Hann__ said:

Virtually every two-stroke engine in existence has roller bearings on the crank - deep groove radial for the mains and a needle roller for the big-end.

ok.  not sure why Capt Kurt would make it sound like a Fresh Breeze exclusive then.   That seems deceptive.

Edited by HangTen

On 23/05/2019 at 09:34, HangTen said:

ok.  not sure why Capt Kurt would make it sound like a Fresh Breeze exclusive then.   That seems deceptive.

Winner winner chicken dinner!!!

Also his offer of "free" training and offering to come to you is deceptive -- the training is free only if you buy the equipment he is selling and if you have him come to you for training is it incumbent on you to provide him with lodging food and transportation while he is there.

Nothing is free...

Pretty much gave up on Fresh Breeze and Kurt Fister.   Just too many negative comments.   If this confusion keeps up, I'll end up building my own based on the best attributes of them all.   The Kurt Fister FB trike is $2500 and has probably $250.00 in materials.   Heck of a lot of profit in there.    I've done quite a bit of welding and brazing and really good with CAD so who knows.   That's a trike.  But not so sure about building a motor frame.

Edited by HangTen

On 28/05/2019 at 14:54, OddManOut said:

Once again -- buy and read the book previously mentioned.  It will clear up much confusion.

Agree about a trike.  Super simple to build and save 90%...

Yes, I bought the book.  Thanks

On 28/05/2019 at 15:02, AndyB said:

I built my own trike. Cost under £500.

Nice!   Pics?  

I would assume you bought the motor first, so that you could make sure the motor could properly mount to your custom trike?

Edited by HangTen

I have sent you a few pics. recently modified this design so that:

- I have 2 different sets of wheels, the ones for soft sand and a set of hard wheels for grass etc.

- I have made the axles slot on/off with quick release pins.

- I have split the main tube with a sleeve and a quick release pin so that I can transport the trike on a car back rack without it sticking out too far. 

Thanks for the pics Andy!

Great Job!   Looks like you used aluminum tubing?   Those wheels have got to be great for landing.

Just shows what you can do when you put your mind and energy into it.  I'm inspired.

My biggest dilemma is knowing how to create the motor mountings and getting the glider mounts positioned properly.