Sign in to follow this  
geckofly

how old is too old ?

Not pilots :) but motors ...I am flying a pap PA125 its got about 260 hrs running sweetly , thinking of upgrading frame and harness is it worth it ?

back story is I have to run two motors one I leave in Spain and the other in the Uk ..the one I have in Spain(Ross 100) I bought 2006 has well over 600 hrs and still runs well but over the years has lost a bit of power and only good for sea level takeoffs ,

Am on the look out for one  new motor but  thinking i could upgrade the PA125 and leave that in Spain , but I really have no idea how long motors are designed to last ...any one have any suggestions or exoerience  ? 

It’s a funny one in the world of Paramotoring. It seems that Most people (that I have spoken too) think around 100ish hours is the time to get rid and buy a new one, however they will go indefinitely with correct maintenance and replacement parts.

2 stroke engines do need more work than a 4 stroke and require parts replacing more often, but if done right and you want to keep the motor going there is nothing stopping you.

I guess the big part is supply of the parts and as engines get older manufacturers may stop making what you need. The biggest part however is engine development with engines getting lighter, more power from smaller units, better fuel economy and so on.

I say if you are happy with the engine and can get the parts why not keep it going if you don’t feel the need for a new one.

I had an engine at the start that I was struggling with and ended up selling it on but that was mostly due to confidence issues early doors but now wish I had stuck with it but the metal block I was having made me move it on (fully declaring the issues I had with the motor)

• Like 1

Thanks very much andyy good points . Wow 100 hrs ! That’s expensive airtime ;) ! 

With all of my motors I have had issues including serious ones new reduction drives  holes in pistons etc but it’s almost as if you get through a period of  troubles early on  then you have a relatively long trouble free time . I guess the other thing to mention is the frames , linkages, and harness straps all wear over time . Doesn’t contribute to peace of mind  wondering if they might be on the verge of giving up  but don’t suppose there are any guidelines for that . Just common sense !

For comparison, 2 stroke motors on Motorcycles and scooters for example can last thousands of hours.   Of course, you can't fall from the sky on those.

In fareness you can't  fall from the sky in a paramotor...the safety chute is already out anyway!  You can be in a forced landing though...