Calculating wind speed in flight.

andyy

I had an interesting flight tonight. On the upper limit of my comfort which i am kinda trying to expand ATM,  reverse launch and up I went No steps just throttle.

Forecast was 8-15mph which on the ground was probably a little low, after kiting the wing for a while I decided it was strong but not gusting.

going by my gps I was doing 12mph into wind level flight with trims half out.

when I turned around still level flight and trims half out I was doing 52mph quite funny over taking cars below me on the country roads. 

so My question is, to calculate the speed of the wind you are flying is it as simple as taking away the into wind speed from the  away from wind speed and dividing what’s left by 2 or is there a wing dynamic or something to take into calculation?

Yes, that is correct.

I find it easier just to know my wing speed at the 3 main trim settings. So e.g if your wing speed is 32 mph at trim neutral, then while you are flying a quick glance at your current air-speed and you know what is going on and whether you are into wind or not.

• Like 1

Ideally you want to know 4 trim speeds Full slow, Takeoff or neutral, full fast trims and also full trim with bar..  If you also know your fuel burn for each trim setting you can then start to add wind speeds to the calculations to find the best and most economical speed to fly at..  This can be very handy if your on an XC and your not sure your going to make it home..  

• Like 1

Thanks Mark, fuel burn is not something I have been paying to much attention to at the moment I know that I am roughly using 5ltr per hour but in the next month or so it is something I need to start working out more accurately. Also as you say work out the fuel for different trim settings.

Recently I have just been trying to extend my comfort with turbulence and In doing so giving myself more flying windows. 

2 hours ago, andyy said:

Recently I have just been trying to extend my comfort with turbulence and In doing so giving myself more flying windows. 

There are a few little tips you can use to overcome the little bumps.. Just remember the wing will take alot and probably allot more than you in your early hours,  One of the best things anyone can do is laugh the nerves away.. When you hit something you do not feel comfortable in  let out a big WHOOOHOOOOO Laugh, Cheer, Anything to turn the Negative into a positive..  My Hangliding instructor told me this years ago and worked for me...   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2