BHPA approved training & APPI approved training ?

GB007

Hello

In my research to find out more about Paramotoring (If I got this right) I just found out there seems to be 2 ways to be trained, BHPA approved training & APPI approved training. 

At the moment I don’t see why you would choose one over the other, is it possible one better that the other?

What are the implications (if any) if qualified with one and not the other?

Many Thanks    

If you train abroad you will get APPI, in the UK you get BHPA. Do not use a school that does not follow one of these as you will not be able to get insurance.

I chose APPI because it is recognised well overseas and I fly abroad much of the year. I wanted insurance that covers that. The UK insurance has a limited overseas time.

If you want to fly at a BHPA approved site they will want you to be BHPA trained. 

Either APPI or BHPA is ok for fly-ins.

Thanks for this info Andy.

Does this mean if someone was APPI qualified they could not fly in the UK or just the BHPA sites and are there APPI sites in the UK?

Also if someone was APPI and want to fly BHPA sites would they have to then go through the training again but with a BHPA school?

Sorry I don't know what a Fly-In is?

Thanks

Edited by GB007

1 hour ago, GB007 said:

Hi Kiwi

I would not dare do this without training, I'm not brave enough.

PS: I actually think I’m a bit scared of heights.

Thanks

The other week there was 11 of us flying of which 4 are scared of heights, And most admit they are only frightened  until they're feet leave the ground and sitting in the seat properly, So No big problem and you'll be glad you did it.

Dependent on previous experience (Not directed at you GB007) but BHPA have an alternative entry basis, yes you need to show handling and basic knowledge of understanding thermals and weather conditions.

Kiwi - I have my BHPA Hang Gliding CP and mainly flown in Algodonales.  I'm low air time but have a couple of spectacular flights under my belt.  I own 2 Hang Gliders but still think I'm a bit scared of height which make me laugh.  Why do I still want to do it?  

I find Understanding the weather is a real challenge, I seem to forget more than I learn.

On 30/11/2018 at 13:00, AndyB said:

If you train abroad you will get APPI, in the UK you get BHPA. Do not use a school that does not follow one of these as you will not be able to get insurance.

I chose APPI because it is recognised well overseas and I fly abroad much of the year. I wanted insurance that covers that. The UK insurance has a limited overseas time.

If you want to fly at a BHPA approved site they will want you to be BHPA trained. 

Either APPI or BHPA is ok for fly-ins.

you can get insurance no matter who you train with,Axa 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, jock said:

you can get insurance no matter who you train with,Axa 

You can also get Insurance via the Paramotor Club, if you have had PMC, BHPA, or APPI training :-)

Our policy costs less than AXA by a fair chunk, offers tandem and also covers Paragliding. 

Long gone are the days of needing to be in the BHPA just for the insurance. 

SW :D 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 02/12/2018 at 17:59, admin (Simon W) said:

You can also get Insurance via the Paramotor Club, if you have had PMC, BHPA, or APPI training :-)

Our policy costs less than AXA by a fair chunk, offers tandem and also covers Paragliding. 

Long gone are the days of needing to be in the BHPA just for the insurance. 

SW :D 

Long gone are the days of needing to be in the BHPA just for the insurance,,,,are you sure on that..lol...