C'mon, own up

8 hours ago, Hamishdylan said:

.....So when the time was right I gave my youngster a sharp penknife, showed him how to use it safely and then waited for the inevitable learning curve (with some elastoplast handy just in case).  Sure, he cut himself a few times whilst he was learning but he is now in his late twenties, has all his fingers and a sensible regard for sharp things.

My dad was saying the same thing to me just the other day. I said to him "So how did that idea work out for you...and me dad"? 

hand.jpg

Edited by poz

5 hours ago, poz said:

It's so true about the 'perceived' risk, and it also works the other way round too. For example, cars are so much more dangerous than people perceive them to be. I've lost count how many torn apart bodies, and the inevitable and devastating aftermath, I've had to deal with over the years.

Ha, bang on.  Approx 4 people die every day on UK roads and around 40 seriously injured.  That's the same as one major terrorist incident every day.  I wonder if we will look back on that in 50 or 100 years and wonder why we put up with it.  Okay, so statistically, your chances of death on the road is relatively low, it's still far more hazardous than people think.  Maybe that's why old folks drive so damn slowly?  They've simply got more life experience of the perceived risk/actual risk matrix?! 

My relationship with risk changed slightly after I had a small compression fracture in my spine in a paragliding accident.  I was assessing the decisions I was making and my surgeon summed it up nicely - he told me not to stop flying as 'everything has risk' and the actual risk with what I was doing was not too far from driving a car or slipping in the shower.  I took that on board.. I still fly but I drive a little bit slower and I'm a little bit more careful getting into the shower. 

(...and my paragliding accident wasn't random bad luck, it was avoidable self inflicted hubris)

Edited by Patrick1

13 hours ago, poz said:

My dad was saying the same thing to me just the other day. I said to him "So how did that idea work out for you...and me dad"? 

hand.jpg

Poz, I'm sorry if I touched a raw nerve with my example but (without wishing to put more petrol on the bonfire) if you did that to yourself with a penknife as a nipper, I salute your determination - you must have really gone for it! Maximum respect.

On 15/07/2018 at 15:33, Guest said:

The exact reason in why Paramotoring should be regulated in order to stop morons like this breaking CAA regulations and flying within 50ft of peoples heads! If only the Secret Service were in reach of him or her. 

There was a NOTAM creating a no fly zone. Don't need any more legislation. He can be prosecuted for flying in out of bounds air space!

7 hours ago, Hamishdylan said:

Poz, I'm sorry if I touched a raw nerve with my example but (without wishing to put more petrol on the bonfire) if you did that to yourself with a penknife as a nipper, I salute your determination - you must have really gone for it! Maximum respect.

Haha, sorry Hamishdylan, it's just my weird sense of humour, I didn't do this with a penknife, an elderly client of mine closed the door of her Range Rover, and for a split second my finger just happened to be in the wrong place. It was no big deal, just a finger.

• Like 2

Poz, I thought you were pulling my leg but better safe than sorry - you might have been a left-hander with a particularly low pain threshold and a keen sense of determination!  Pity it is your right hand or else you could do a wicked Dave Allen impression...

blob.png.10a0653a0c7911dc314cc76776769776.png

Edited by Hamishdylan
Typo