Flying from guildford, couple of questions

Gregwatson

Hi all.

I've never been to Barry's field - what is the procedure? Are there limits on pilot numbers? What about total flight volume - is the 28-day rule an issue? Can it be used for circuits or is it strictly a "take off and then go away" field?

Is there any interest in finding another field in Guildford that could be flown from? I was talking to Merrist Wood earlier to see if they have anything suitable and there are a couple of potential fields there but I suspect they're a lot smaller than barry's field...

Greg

Hi Greg , Barrys is take off and go somewhere ' no circuits as such there are a few houses around the field. 10 quid a day ' phone him first don't just turn up ' not sure about 28 day rule ' 800ft ceiling till your over the A31hogs back much higher and you will be eye level with air craft in to farnbourgh ' that's about it ' I've had some fantastic evening flights from there .

cas. 

Hi Greg

Cas has covered most of it, cons of Barry's that i found are seems to get water logged after heavy rain, No early morning flights, Don't drive on the grass and he may decided not to let you fly, Thats about it .

Regarding interest in another field i would say yes also. 

I flew from Barry`s field 2 times this year and he is still supportive to ppg pilots (just don`t drive on the grass, and keep distance from the neighbours :)), and there are no news about the building plans that he mentioned a year ago. It`s a problem that you cannot do circles there, I would really need that now that I rebuilt my engine and would like to stay close to the field during the first one or two flights. Not sure there are any other farmers who would let us do it though. But if you find one, I am happy to join the team there :)

On 14/05/2018 at 17:13, cas_whitmore said:

Hi Greg , Barrys is take off and go somewhere ' no circuits as such there are a few houses around the field. 10 quid a day ' phone him first don't just turn up ' not sure about 28 day rule ' 800ft ceiling till your over the A31hogs back much higher and you will be eye level with air craft in to farnbourgh ' that's about it ' I've had some fantastic evening flights from there .

cas. 

I forgot to ask about the 800ft comment... Can you provide more details? I fly around the area sometimes but wasn't aware of an issue with Farnborough traffic...

As far as I’m aware 800ft is what was verbally agreed with Farnborough ATC , for that area because it’s all but under the approach for Farnborough air traffic which is apparently 1750 ft . All aircraft I’ve seen on approach to Farnborough follow the A31 also on there way out on occasion. . Barry’s is aldershot side of A31 where it merges with A3 

• 2 weeks later...