Full 1 hour instructional video on youtube from Aviator PPG

Check this out. 

Aviator PPG has made a bang up to date fantastic introduction schooling video on ground handling and kiting for paramotoring or as they would often say PPG.

A Full length video of over an hour all released for free. 

Check the comments as if you enjoy the video, please consider to donate to a charity that they link to. 

I would love to see some feedback from instructors, student, other pilots. Is it a good idea, a bad idea, does is say enough, is it helpful. Maybe your old school and just learnt something new from it. Who knows. 

I tried to wqtch it but im not a newbie anymore...to long for me. These guys are well known instructors in ppg,however i lost all respect for them after they changed exclusively to ozone wings for ppg. Prior to that they said dudek dudek dudek. I fear they were not as honest in such things as i previously thought, clearly ozone roped them in with free or cheap wings,and now all of a sudden tucker gott is flying free ozone wings too (also raving about how good they aparently are..he too is full of complete marketing crap). I am extremely dissapointed in these guys for this kind of trickery...they are no better than Dell Schanze when it comes to marketing bullshit!

The reality is, kiting is almost useless for learning how to control a paraglider in the air...and this is essentially because one of the real biggies in paragliding is learning how to interract with dynamic stability ...ie controlling the pendulum. In my view this cannot be learned on the ground. Having said that, prior kiting skill does make the first day of ppg training much easier, no doubt about this.

Sorry for the rant...it just really touches a nerve with me.

Edited by adamjedgar

Hi AdamJedgar,

Please forgive me, I'm really not looking for any kind of trouble/fight, but I do want to make a quick point. Back in August I was in Florida and met Eric and some of the Aviator PPG team (I know others on here have too). Naturally I think they are great guys, so what I say will probably be biased... regardless, they are very passionate people who are obsessed about everything and anything paramotor. In my humble opinion there is nothing wrong with being enthusiastic about something that is good - as long as it's sincere. I truly believe they are sincere.

Eric loaned me a Speedster 2. He and I had a good chat afterwards about the Speedster 2 and how it compared to my Nucleon xx. Whilst it was very good, I vastly preferred my wing, and he happily accepted that. If I remember right his 3rd wing (in the closet) was his trusty old Hadron for XC's. He may be fanatical about what is good, but he is by no stretch of the imagination a 'Dell'.

Now, they have made a free video, which appears to be very good (I haven't watched it all yet). They are clearly trying to develop their own brand, whilst helping people in the field, I don't blame them for that either. As some would say there is room for improvement in my nil wind forwards - I will watch it closely! 

Again... I'm no looking for and argument with you, but I feel you're being a tad harsh.

Disclaimer - I am not a brand devotee in any direction... but happily accept free wings.

Let me know who gets cheap ozone’s, I don’t. 

I have been making the move to ozone’s myself. I like their designs and direction they take. The 2nd gen of shark nose has really impressed me if that is what is creating all the lift and economy from such a small wing. 

I don’t hear Aviator saying anything bad about Dudek. That are impressed with Dudek wings also, but more impressed with Viper4 and now Freeride. After they got tucker to fly the Freeride and viper he moved from Dudek to ozone. I’m sure if something special came out of Dudek he would move back or to who ever is producing the best wing for him. 

I wouldn’t loose respect for him unless he was blatantly unessaserily slating another brand, which he does not. Just shouting about what he likes and sells. 

Irrespective of how genuinethe guy is with regard to marketing, as a newbie, I found the video useful and helped to reinforce what had already been explained to me, but unlike with my instructor, I am able to sit and watch it over and over to help it sink in.  I am so grateful for videos like this.

I like Tuckers stuff too, but take him in the spirit of what he is trying to do.  I do fear that he might encourage people to take a bit too much risk.  However, he is willing and able to and I like his style.

Edited by cianpars

I should have said i like Tucker because i really do. 

My only complaint is when someone pushes wings because they are told too. Tucker flies Ozone because he is part of paradigm team and they give him wings.

I have flown on ozone sirrocco and buzz pwr z4. Neither wing had any technology built in to offset torque steering issues and this made them almost unsuitable for ppg with high hang point units. 

Tucker harps on about how great Ozone wings are, however if that were really true, I would have expected a decent ppg wing manufacturer to include at least offset riser loops and torque steering tip lines in ppg wings. Neither of Ozone wings i have flown had them...both wings suffered badly from torque steering because of this, and add to it the tendency for both wings to lag back way too far under high power settings (risers almost touching cage) and my assessment of said wings is damning...unless newer models are better and include such technologies, i wouldnt touch them with a 40 foot pole...such wings for ppg are lacking 2 very important safety and xc features. Dudek include both on their wings.

I have flown the Ozone buzz pwr z4 and Sirrocco. Focusing on sirrocco because its a reflex wing, its a fantastically easy wing to launch, but in the air my Dudek Universal is by far the better wing, not because of speed but because of the technology used in it and the way the wing flies under power. I found that the Ozone Sirrocco, just like my old Buzz pwr, lagged back badly under high power settings from any speed (trimmers open or closed)...so much so the risers were almost touching my cage. This made it susceptible to torque induced riser twisting. I have never had thus happen with Dudek Universal and am sure its an inherant design flaw in  both ozone wings i have flown. Now i will admit i fly a high powered 200cc unit whilst being quite light myself but i still dont like Ozone wings because of this issue and the lack of other technology Dudek automatically include in their wings to counter this and improve pilot comfort on long xc flights. 

On the topic of Tucker Gott winning ICARUS, i dont mind that he did win (not that he had any real competition, Aussie 2 time winner David Wainwright wasnt there this year), i watch all of tuckers videos and think what he does is generally great advertising for the sport and he is a talented pilot but his technical knowledge of important wing features is shithouse.

If newer ozone wings have resolved above said issues...than i take this all back. 

I will stop my rant here.

Edited by adamjedgar

I think ozone build this feature into wings to improve climb performance...but i think this is at the expense of torque induced riser twisting safety...just my opinion and others with "high hang point paramotors" may have different experience.

On low hang point units you can simply fly with constant weightshift to offset torque steering...but not for high hang point, so these features become extremely important for me, especially on wings that like to lag back to get good climb performance.

I am not sure how ozone do this, perhaps line lengths?

Edited by adamjedgar

On 11/27/2017 at 20:05, adamjedgar said:

The reality is, kiting is almost useless for learning how to control a paraglider in the air...and this is essentially because one of the real biggies in paragliding is learning how to interract with dynamic stability ...ie controlling the pendulum.

I've often thought this myself, but not having sufficient experience or insight I've kept quiet.

I would appreciate some guidance on roll stability in general. I just tend to pull a bit of brake and let things sort themselves out, but what is the preferred procedure for stopping/reducing oscillations?

Guy, I fly in quite thermic conditions at times and have found that without stabilisation roll can become quite severe. All it takes with the Roadster wing is to hold both brakes at position 1 to 2 and it pretty much stops. Even just letting the weight of my arms hang on the brakes is enough.

21 hours ago, AndyB said:

Guy, I fly in quite thermic conditions at times and have found that without stabilisation roll can become quite severe. All it takes with the Roadster wing is to hold both brakes at position 1 to 2 and it pretty much stops. Even just letting the weight of my arms hang on the brakes is enough.

Thanks Andy, that was my take on it and what I do. Looks like this is the preferred option :)