Neat (Free) trick to alert you to controlled airspace

AndySV1K

Not sure if anyone else has tried this but I tried it out the other day and it worked quite well.

There is a phone app called IF (Used to be called IFTTT)  and is called "If This Then That"

It can do a huge amount but is basically a way of using logic to take in variables and carryout actions accordingly.

What I did in about 5 mins, was set up a recipe (Thats what they refer to as the programs you can create) that was based on geo-location of my phone as the input and a phone notification as the output.

It allowed me to make a 3 mile radius around my local airport and state that whenever my phone enters the area, send a push notification to my phone and watch.  You can write custom text for the notification....like "Turn around you bloody idiot!"

As I don't drive to the area all that often I will leave it switched on permanently, but if you often enter an area when not flying you may need to turn it on and off accordingly to avoid lots of notifications when you're in your car etc.

It's obviously not meant to be a primary means of keeping you in the correct airspace but should work as a nice little back up way of warning you if you fly with a smartphone and/or smart watch.

Andy.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

I ride a motorbike to and from work. I have it set up so there is a small radius around where I park my bike that on entry tells the wife that I’ve arrived safely without having to bother to manual message every time. Also when I head home as I walk within the zone to the bike then IFTTT uses my Telegram app again to notify her I’m on my way. I could set up similar zones on the route so she can get updates where I am but I don’t think she cares that much.

On 11/24/2017 at 18:44, MagMen said:

I ride a motorbike to and from work. I have it set up so there is a small radius around where I park my bike that on entry tells the wife that I’ve arrived safely without having to bother to manual message every time. Also when I head home as I walk within the zone to the bike then IFTTT uses my Telegram app again to notify her I’m on my way. I could set up similar zones on the route so she can get updates where I am but I don’t think she cares that much.

A tad off topic, but you know that you can use Telegram to share your location for a certain period? Just press the paper clip in your conversation.