what paramotor to buy next

high flyer

looking to replacing my rad arrow with a new paramotor what to buy ? so i am male, retired, 5ft5in  77kg in my b.s. looking for as light as possible with centrifugal clutch, easy to start in flight , i will not mention brands i think it is better to see what you guys have to say , grateful for your  input .

there may well be other paramotors out there that you think could fit my requirements ? that i may not have heard of  , at the moment the only paramotor that i no of that looks like fitting my requirements is the miniplane , always good to receive as much info before handing over the big ones

I've recently bought a Miniplane. I don't think you will go far wrong with what's been mentioned so far. 

I had narrowed my choice down to the Miniplane & Parajet Maverick. What made my choice in the end was a less than 12 month old Miniplane with only 3hrs flight time at a price I couldn't refuse!

My main concerns for getting a Miniplane at first was the small engine & fiddly assembly. I'm about 82kg naked weight so had concerns about getting off the ground etc. I did my power conversion this year & by chance I trained on a Miniplane. My concerns were soon settled when I took my first flight. Launch was easy & relatively short & my climb rate seemed acceptable to me. 

My other concern was the assembly. I've since done a few assemble/disassemble of the cage & to be fair it's not half as bad as I first thought it to be, once you get familiar with it & learn the sequence. I have to disassemble it each time for transport & limited storage space at home.

I guess it's what you want from paramotoring. The Maverick & Air Conception are going to give you much more power for stronger climb outs but the Miniplane is going to give you a lower fuel consumption & lower cost. 

The guys at Parajet & Miniplane UK have both been really helpful when seeking advice too, which is most reassuring.

I'm sure there will be others that can advise on different units & what I've already mentioned. I'm new to paramotoring so I can only comment on the information & advice I've picked up on the way. It really is a minefield out there when it comes to choice!

Regards,

Justin

I bought a Miniplane back in 2011, it now has 250+ hrs.  I am 80+ Kg and fly a speedster 22.  My flying mate also has a Miniplane, he is 90kg and flies a 26, but has been up on a 24.  The Miniplane is light, reliable, quiet and fuel efficient.  And there is an extensive and reactive support network.  Those who don't fly them say that they are not robust, but that hasn't been my experience.

I would definitely look at the Nitro.........the only other motor that I have lusted after.

I think that the support is equally as important as the choice of machine. Parajet and Vince White at Air Conception UK both offer this in bucketfuls. Also be careful with frame size as in my experience, a lot of these units seem better for someone of 5ft 8in or more (which is what I am). I once snapped the end off a stationary propeller landing with one of the bigger machines. Of course, this all depends on the geometry of the particular machine. As Steve said above, I doubt you would go wrong with either the AC or Maverick. Just avoid anything that hangs low on your back.

Regards

77kg, you would be ok on the nitro with a sensible size wing (smaller not larger) anything with a clutch has point at which it bites in, if you were trying to fly 30m paraglider at 77kg your level flight would be at biting point, you need to be flying with rpm slightly higher for smooth level flight,  probably a 24m wing or less. Nitro Clutch Electric Start, doesn't get any easier than that. 20.8kg all up ready to fly with prop, battery, harness etc, just add fuel and reserve chute.

As already stated depends on the flying you do, launch altitude etc. If you are flying paragliders and thermalling, you do not need much power and top80 is good. If you want to fly smaller wing and get somewhere then nitro is a good choice.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

mini plane top 80 delivered friday ran in sat flown sunday so impressive 125 frame 115 prop loads of power very nice design and the mini-plane harness is so comfy all in all a perfectly all round balanced powerful  paramotor ( superb engine ) and a big thanx to Russ mini-plane uk delivered to my door put together test run set up inc hang check what a service .

• Like 1