Which paramotor breaks down the most compact and light?

I want to travel via airline with my paramotor kit.

I recently bought and learned on a used Backbone Stronger 125 (with ROS 125 motor) because that was the cheapest thing available. I've only got 15 hours on it. 

I just tried to disassemble it and it breaks down only into very chunky parts which are too big for my ski bag:

https://drive.google.com/a/victorlinphoto.com/file/d/0B7frWuNellxaV2FqZnlkUzRrWUU/view

https://drive.google.com/a/victorlinphoto.com/file/d/0B7frWuNellxaYUVqMHBUWW41UUE/view

https://drive.google.com/a/victorlinphoto.com/file/d/0B7frWuNellxaQnBrSFdmbWRJYTA/view

So the hoop can only break down into four chunky curved parts. The main frame itself that the motor and fuel tank hang from also can't be broken down further. 

I'm thinking that it would be worth it to invest in a PPG kit that's light (around 20-23kg), ~125cc, and can break down into some compact, straight segments.

My friend's Miniplane with Top 80's hoop breaks down into straight tubes - it flexes into the curved hoop.  His main frame part doesn't look like it breaks down further though.

Any recommendations?

16 hours ago, admin (Simon W) said:

It just has to be the Parajet Zenith. (given that what you describe is exactly what the design was for) :-) 

They even have a snazzy travel case for it! 

Call me if you want to chat in more detail. 

SW :D  

The Parajet's on the heavy side. And really expensive :( 10.5kg for the chassis and another ~15kg for the engine (190-200cc) means 25.5kg, plus the weight of the box. Airlines usually top out at 23kg for the max weight of a single item. Sure, I can break it down into two separate boxes, but I'd ideally like a 20kg engine+chassis unit and chuck in 3kg for the box.

The Parajet also doesn't seem to be easily repairable since everything is custom machined. Aluminum tubes are fairly easy. A Parajet CNC-machined aluminum part is... good luck.

6 hours ago, aljken said:

Zenith. I have checked mine onto a plane in a box and picked it up in USA.

What was the all-up weight and how much extra did it cost you?

Edited by fuzzybabybunny

15 hours ago, fuzzybabybunny said:

The Parajet's on the heavy side. And really expensive :( 10.5kg for the chassis and another ~15kg for the engine (190-200cc) means 25.5kg, plus the weight of the box. Airlines usually top out at 23kg for the max weight of a single item. Sure, I can break it down into two separate boxes, but I'd ideally like a 20kg engine+chassis unit and chuck in 3kg for the box.

The Parajet also doesn't seem to be easily repairable since everything is custom machined. Aluminum tubes are fairly easy. A Parajet CNC-machined aluminum part is... good luck.

What was the all-up weight and how much extra did it cost you?

The all-up weight was however much a motor weighs (minus a fuel tank which is plastic and not much). Paramotors are all heavy, the zenith is lighter than all the other motors I have seen and lifted up on the hill, but not by much. Light weight ones do not exist.

Cost was the price of a custom made strong cardboard box to the max dimensions the airline took (which a friend made for free) and then the excess baggage which was about £150 ish from memory. Way cheaper and more convenient than the courier quotes I had got too. Save weight on the box, you don't need anything fancy to check it onto a plane, just make sure it is well padded.

A Zenith is easy to repair cos you can just fix a single spar if necessary, not a whole piece.

Yes they are expensive... but they are good.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, aljken said:

The all-up weight was however much a motor weighs (minus a fuel tank which is plastic and not much). Paramotors are all heavy, the zenith is lighter than all the other motors I have seen and lifted up on the hill, but not by much. Light weight ones do not exist.

Cost was the price of a custom made strong cardboard box to the max dimensions the airline took (which a friend made for free) and then the excess baggage which was about £150 ish from memory. Way cheaper and more convenient than the courier quotes I had got too. Save weight on the box, you don't need anything fancy to check it onto a plane, just make sure it is well padded.

A Zenith is easy to repair cos you can just fix a single spar if necessary, not a whole piece.

Yes they are expensive... but they are good.

Light weight ones don't exist??  20kg for an AC and the Mac Fly range are 3-4kg lighter with the same engine fitted to Zen.  O.oxD

On 7/27/2016 at 9:21 AM, morgy said:

Light weight ones don't exist??  20kg for an AC and the Mac Fly range are 3-4kg lighter with the same engine fitted to Zen.  O.oxD

Yeah, but they will still be over 15kg. Lightweight to me means it doesn't feel heavy when I pick it up! :)

On 8/1/2016 at 2:20 AM, custom-vince said:

I have a Synergy 5 chassis in stock. Can fit in a medium suitcase, ideal for travelling.

Wow, that looks amazing. I'll keep this in mind on my next upgrade. I just sawed my Backbone apart in various places for travel but once I want to upgrade this and the Air Conception will for sure be on the top of my list.

Any plans on making it fit other engines larger than a 130cc? And any world on Air Conception making their Nitro 200 engine available for sale separately from the chassis?

The synergy 5 will fit pretty much any engine. Its a bit fussy to assemble but that comes along with breaking down so small for travelling, it also adds a little weight so not as light as the air conceptions.

The nitro has been available separately but I think that option has recently been removed. Full quality control is better when sold as a whole machine, also to do with keeping up with demand. There is not spare engines to sell separately. I can always ask on availability if one is wanted separately. 

Some guys have wanted the Nitro engine just to save weight.. That doesn't add up. Engine only would just save a couple of kg. Its the complete package that makes a lighter paramotor. I have been asked for a chassis to fit a mini2, that does not really work either.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought... 

If I was heading out to the USA or similar, I would buy another petrol tank (as I have done before) and leave one in the USA for my next visit. 

My thought behind this expense was that they will take the entire motor if there is even the slightest smell of petrol :-(

With the tank being a part of the frame, I think this would be an issue for air travel with the Synergy no?? 

SW :D

I has a bladder tank. can be removed and swapped or removed and cleaned, rolled up and posted back. I not sure if the bladder would be an advantage or disadvantage for that purpose. Possible advantage as you have other options, you could wear it under a jacket. Tell the flight crew its a hot water bottle as it looks a bit like that.