Wooden Pulse Props.

All,

I have 2 wooden 'copies' of the pulse prop (with the turned in tips) They are not from TP but are the same standard (as in, 2 out of 5 have been rejected by Parajet so far)

The 2 I have have been checked for accuracy of holes and ballence and found to be well inside of tollerance.

As Always, not sure of the price yet... but they are going to be a good deal less than the carbon version. (ideal for low airtime pilots, and Norman :lol: )

SW :D

If I buy a Macro this year (am planning a change looking for minimal fuel burn) I will be trying the largest 2 blade GSC ground adjustable I can squeeze in. At just over £100 it's got to be one of the cheapest options out there for a prop where you define the pitch setting rather than accept somebody elses idea of what pitch the average machine of your type should be using.

Dave, :lol:

It does make sense doesn't it, to supply at least one wooden prop in anticipation of training s*removed by admin*?

We need to learn a lot more about the science of matching props to power plants and the various benefits of ground adjustable props versus say fixed GRP/Carbon. V23b has some very interesting things to say about ground adjustable units, keeping an open mind and doing research must be helpful - sharing that knowledge here must be the way ahead. Anyone can read it and the wider community can benefit.

To put this into perspective, we are only talking here about optimization, most trundles around the countryside aren't that performance critical, are they? Tip to Tip can use the range optimization and the new three bladed unit being finished off by PJ is said to offer thrust and consumption efficiency improvements. It looks much smarter as well.

Having just written of a pulse carbon and frame quarter myself just recently I am a contributor to the quota of "training s*removed by admin*" so dont bite my head off but.......

I wonder if we accept a busted prop a little too lightly? Such an event in any aviation branch would be considerd a "serious incident" and warrant a thorough investigation as to the cause. The instructor (if in a training situation) would come under scrutiny for "appropriateness of excercise" and a pilot would be asked to submit a report to assist the CFI or airfield manager in assessing the cause and likely implications for the integrity of the other engine components and H&E issues.

Just musing really........

Hi Francis et al,

In the spirit of musing...

In any other branch of aviation the prop is significantly better protected from contact with the ground, either by virtue of being mounted higher on the aircraft or simply by being attached to ... oh yes ... an aircraft, something with bits that tend not to compress beyond well defined limits upon a normal impact with the ground. For most of us the prop is sticking down below the most rigid part of the fuselage (the pilot's spine and backside) so any landing that results in a failure of the undercarriage (legs) will almost certainly result in the prop coming to to contact with the ground. Given that human legs and hillsides everywhere are always going to result in stumbles and trips I think it is inevitable that unexpected foldups of the undercarriage will happen.

Continuing the musing and looking at the the other elements...

I was taught that I should cut the engine well before getting close enough to the ground for the prop to come in to contact with it. That way the chances of a less than perfect landing resulting in bits of carbon fibre or wood being distributed liberally are much reduced.

Choosing a landing site that is relatively smooth will certainly help in the "not tripping up" stakes.

Practice makes perfect - or at least less imperfect.

So to bring my musings to a close...

• * I think broken bits of hardware are inevitable in a mode of flying that is so reliant on the human body as a structural part of the takeoff and landing airframe.
    * Good technique can minimise the damage when it does happen (I know I haven't flown as much as most of you but I'm still on my first prop since I started learning (just you watch, I'll trash it next time now I've said that )) :lol:
    * Any mishap is an opportunity for trainer and trainee to improve their technique.

Finally, anyone got a crystal ball to see far enough ahead to when the next bit of flyable weather will be :wink:

Happy flying.

I am getting to the age where the biological components of my airframe are struggling to support the weight of the inert motor!!!!!

I was thinking not so much why it happens but the investigation or lack of it afterwards.

In my case I taught myself (20+ hours after learning to paraglide). I busted two wooden props, not whilst learning but flying at the limit of the envelope perhaps? What do I mean?

Prop 1 ; landed on my bottom not my legs cos I saw another old git do it on a Rad, doesnt work on a PAP 1300 the prop hits the petrol tank!

Prop 2 ; deciding to land and coming in at tick over then just before landing putting on power intending to go up again. Why did I do that (change my mind I mean). Cough splutter sink, vroom too late... dink.

then i went to carbon and the exhaust shackled loose and busted that one.

Then most recently I tried to forward launch when it was a bit windy, even though I can do a mean cobra in 18mph. I dropped on riser halfway up and got pulled over sideways busting another carbon and straining one of the undercarriage struts.

I am starting to think I'm not very good at this.

I am sure I would be "grounded" by my squadron leader and given a desk job in any other form of aviation.

Perhaps I just need some practise :roll::roll::roll:

In the spirit... Tripping up, sitting down, falling or being dragged over and busting a prop.

An interesting point Francis, formalizing the process of analysis post incident might save the next expensive replacement item. Having shelled out for a replacement that process is normally gone through motivated by... the wallet shock. Our props are pretty frangible so the unit is not shock loaded (to the point hat we are aware or is apparent). Our machines not subject to airworthiness strictures. Stats, should they be recorded might suggest that seldom ever is anyone injured. Use of incorrect technique where observed should be corrected of course, but sometimes.... doesn't shit just happen and who needs the paperwork?

Need the practice - busted props, speak to the expert - I need the practice but getting a bigger wing and running the tape in my head has certainly helped.

DSCF0034.JPG

In the spirit... Tripping up, sitting down, falling or being dragged over and busting a prop.

Those are easy to explain, I am at a loss as to why I caught a line on run up, standing still, full throttle wash over wing as usual. The only explanation I can fathom is lots of snow, impeded vision and lack of feel due to winter garb. No witness's , but lines did a birds nest and split a belt (something was floating somewhere).

I would like to try one of your wooden 2-blade pulse props while I wait for the new 3-blade beauty with the matched reduction gear drive.

If you still have a 2-blade wooden pulse prop, please send me a belt with it and I will bother Gilo for the new prop in due course.

Thanks,

Marko D Ka Na Da