polini thor 250

speedmouse

There are Very few 250's in the UK..

Carl Warren, Ricky Thompson both have Mac Fly 250's.. Mark Mason has a 250 V3 and we have recently sold a V3 250 to another guy.. Mark Ridgeway is making a 250 from his 200 phil jennings also has a Frankenstien 250...

I personally wouldn't have bought one if i knew or any issues with the 250..

Might be worth sending them a PM via here or Facebook if you want there opinion.

Hi- yes I have a 250 Thor.

I upgraded from a 200 (I had two 200's in the past)

The motor runs perfect and has amazing thrust.

I have the 3blade eprop that comes with the Thor 250 Macfly it's a variable pitch and very light giving a instant throttle.

Starting the engine isn't as easy as a 200, it does have the flash starter but it recoils hard. Once you have the technique it becomes easy.

If your a newer pilot and light this machine is not for you.

Obviously the machine is a tad heavier than most 2 strokes so I'd seriously look at getting it in the lightest chassis as possible.

I have now found the perfect engine/chassis combination, I'm very happy with the set up.

• 2 months later...

I managed to take out one of our Mac Fly 250's for a test flight after building and setting it up...

I was so impressed I actually came back and bought it with my own money.... :lol: Rathter than have in it stock as a demo on the company.

The Power is out of this world :D I did notice "some" torque on full power But not really surprising as she is putting out 85-95 kg thrust...

A rough fuel test achieved a 50 minute flight using 2 litres on my viper 3 22m.. and only 1 litre for a quick 20 minute flight on full fast trims on my 16m Slalom. 2.5 LPH for the 22m and 3LPH for the 16m, these figures are not 100% accurate as i didn't weigh the fuel and the engine is still running rich as i'm still running her in... So i hope to be able to achieve a much better figure.. I have been told of other comp pilots getting 2LPH for a 75kg pilot on a 20m Viper 3... :shock:

The average water temps with the New Polini thermostat fitted were 59-85c.

The Sup Air harness felt really nice and snug with loads of support. The Main speed bar routing is on the inside of the harness to stop accidental reserve deployment, If you add the zip Sup Air reserve pocket Makes the reserve set up very neat and very safe... Unlike other brands the side reserve container on the Sup Air harness has a back up velcro over the zip and a safety popper.

TBH i wasn't really looking forward to using a 32kg machine again "no fuel with water".. But I was really shocked how light it actually felt.. with my reserve and 3 litres of fuel she didn't feel any heavier than my old V5 or moster Zenith..

I have some serious testing and thinking to do now for the up coming comp season what machine to use... :?::?:

Hi rsquared

I was referring to the Hornet...

I am not sure how to compare both machines without sounding like a dealer trying to sell Machines.. :roll: I really like both machines and both have a great feel and good power...

As an unsponsored pilot i need to fly the Best machine i can... By best i mean best performance for comps... Being a big fan of Classic and slalom comps this make having to choose a hard task.. I May end up using one for Slalom and the other for classic comps.

Slalom requires huge power & low torque, good weight shift.

Classic comps require a slightly different approach... Good usable power balanced with good eco, Also you need a machine that is not overly heavy as there is allot of walking or transporting to and from the takeoff site before and after tasks.

Reliability is a huge part of competitions..

without proper testing i can't just choose a machine..

The Hornet has some very neat features allowing you to tune the feel of the Chassis. the arms are adjustable so you can make them wider or narrower, or for more or less torque offset, The Harness has height adjustment for the taller or shorter pilot..

The Hornet breaks down to nothing and will fit in "any" car.. The 250 on the other hand is a bit bulky with the Rad on top.. But the Hornet takes longer to set up..

The Hornet powers me up to 10k in very short time an requires very little mixture adjustment. Im not sure the 250 will be the same, Also for my light 73kg body the 250 has way to much power for TTC records. The viper 3 felt like it was so far back it was going to stall on full throttle.. early days yet so more testing to be done!!

One the other hand the 250 is on such low RPM's on cruise so should be very good on eco figures. I was averaging low 4000 rpm on cruise.. around 500-1000 less than the Hornet..

All i need now is some good weather for some testing sessions..

• 2 weeks later...

I've just logged in to ask for some opinions on the Polini 250, and what d'you know there is already a thread on the engine :D

My Thor 200 has blown a piston one too many times, the last one being yesterday. I'm completely fed up with not being able to trust this engine to do what I need it to, that being getting me up to great heights (5 - 12000ft) in the shortest possible time (high altitude aerial photography), which means sustained full(ish) throttle.

My concerns are about the weight difference between the 200 and the 250. Is there much in it i.e. can you really feel the difference, bearing in mind I'll need to be carrying at least 10 litres of fuel?

Is the temperature a non-issue with this motor, even at sustained full throttle? As most will know this is an absolute no-no with the Thor 200. It takes me longer to get to a decent height with the 200 (levelling out every 300ft to allow for cooling) than it did with my old trusty PA125 on full whack for an hour.

Any comparison advice would be greatly appreciated.

The engine's going into a PAP frame.

Thanks

Dan

Hi Poz

I have not had any issues with temps. so far but i have only had a few hours on my motor plus ambient temperatures are really low in the UK at the moment... :wink:

You really do not need full throttle on the 250 to achieve very good climb rates.. The main concern would be the wings angle. depending on witch side of the fence you site regarding power stalls on PPG wings..

My Mac Fly is only 32kg with water no fuel, approximately the same weight as a zenith 200..

I am going to do some testing for my time to climb record attempts on the 250 as soon as we have a good weather window..

I have managed to achieve around 17m.45s to 3000m on the hornet and the 250 has much more power than the hornet..

Most of the 250 units we have sold have been for slalom style flyers not people who want to go very high.

Hi Poz

I have not had any issues with temps. so far but i have only had a few hours on my motor plus ambient temperatures are really low in the UK at the moment... :wink:

You really do not need full throttle on the 250 to achieve very good climb rates.. The main concern would be the wings angle. depending on witch side of the fence you site regarding power stalls on PPG wings..

My Mac Fly is only 32kg with water no fuel, approximately the same weight as a zenith 200..

I am going to do some testing for my time to climb record attempts on the 250 as soon as we have a good weather window..

I have managed to achieve around 17m.45s to 3000m on the hornet and the 250 has much more power than the hornet..

Most of the 250 units we have sold have been for slalom style flyers not people who want to go very high.

Thanks Morgy. I know most people are not interested in going high on a paramotor, and to be honest, I much prefer to fly 5ft off the deck. Unfortunately, my clients like their 3 metre panoramic pictures of the whole coast from 10k feet like the pic below, but also want to be able to clearly see up close the individual villas.

It would be lovely to just squeeze the throttle and arrive at altitude in under 15 minutes :D

Coastal%20Landscape%20-1_zps0fazqeca.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hi- yes I have a 250 Thor.

I upgraded from a 200 (I had two 200's in the past)

The motor runs perfect and has amazing thrust.

I have the 3blade eprop that comes with the Thor 250 Macfly it's a variable pitch and very light giving a instant throttle.

Starting the engine isn't as easy as a 200, it does have the flash starter but it recoils hard. Once you have the technique it becomes easy.

If your a newer pilot and light this machine is not for you.

Obviously the machine is a tad heavier than most 2 strokes so I'd seriously look at getting it in the lightest chassis as possible.

I have now found the perfect engine/chassis combination, I'm very happy with the set up.

Hi Carl.

Perhaps you can shed some light on this 'easy starting' technique for the 250 (hand still smarting from the kickback :oops: )

I'm not sure what carl does...

I have fitted a bungee with a small metal ring over or around the pull cord.. if it does kick and you let go it will not hit the rad... :wink:

I prime the bulb until firm a few gentle pulls on the cord to get the fuel up. wind up the flash them give it a hard pull and she will fire right away.. You do have to try to pull through the kick.. If you wimp out, it WILL Kick... All with a little crack on the the throttle...

I find for the first start up do it on the floor while seated in the machine..

Always use choke when cold, prime until hard, do NOT touch the throttle, feel the tension on the pull cord and give it a good long pull don't let it pull your arm back. (It shouldn't kick back that hard) I find it recoils harder if you try blipping the throttle when starting.

Worked on all three 250 machines I was with the weekend and helped the starting procedure.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Carl and Mark for your help with the starting procedure. I've got it completely sussed now by doing exactly as you said :)

I've gotta say, this is a great engine, the weight doesn't bother me any more than the 200, and if I can iron out a couple of uncertainties I have, hopefully with your help, it will be the perfect engine for me.

So niggle number 1; below 5000rpm (straight and level for me is 4800rpm) the engine keeps missing a beat every few seconds and I've no idea why. The plug is a nice tea colour, so nothing obvious to suggest it's lean or rich, and it's nice and responsive right up to 8000rpm.

The next issue probably isn't an issue, but I would feel happier if you could confirm. The water temp seems to hover around the 58 to 62 mark. Is this too low? Could this be causing the motor to stutter?

Flew tonight on my very floaty Niviuk Link 27 for 50 mins and burn't just a tad over 2 litres. Amazing :D:D

Thanks guys.

Dan

Hi, 58 to 62 is perfect. My guess is you have a thermostat fitted, can't remember if you have it in a PAP chassis but I know PAP fit these as standard.

Regarding it being lumpy- your flying in Spain ??? Look at your needle setting.

For your climate the needle setting should be 2nd notch, I think you have it on the middle notch (3rd )

You need to move the clip 1notch leaner .

Mine is on the middle position in the uk. Come summer I will move mine and make it leaner.

Hi, 58 to 62 is perfect. My guess is you have a thermostat fitted, can't remember if you have it in a PAP chassis but I know PAP fit these as standard.

Regarding it being lumpy- your flying in Spain ??? Look at your needle setting.

For your climate the needle setting should be 2nd notch, I think you have it on the middle notch (3rd )

You need to move the clip 1notch leaner .

Mine is on the middle position in the uk. Come summer I will move mine and make it leaner.

Thanks Carl. You're right the motor is in a Pap frame and it has a thermostat. I did think that the stuttering could be something to do with the needle being in the 3rd notch, but then I would have expected the spark plug to indicate running rich, and if anything to me it looks a tiny bit lean.

I guess when I take it in for it's 10hr 1st service and Pierre moves the pin to the 2nd notch as he said he would, I'll find out if this is the cause. It's not hot here in Spain at the moment (15degrees) which could explain the correct colour of the plug, but then why the stuttering :?:?

15 deg is warm ;)

I was flying sea level 4deg in Wales with it on the second position.

You'd be fine to move the needle now IMO. (Confirm this with Pierre )

I know of people running there 250 in the 1st position for Eco.

It doesn't feel warm! But I'll not expect any sympathy on this forum :lol:

I'll get Pierre to move it at the same time I get him to relocate my starter over my shoulder. He says he's seen too many 250 pilots with rope burn necks. Think I'll take my chance if its possible to start this engine over the shoulder.

Thanks again :D

• 10 months later...

Hi guys, this is Costas from Greece .I have just installed a polini thor 250 on my trike and after 15 min. of initial running on ground I stoppped the engine for inspection and realised there was a free play about 1mm from the tip of my proppeler(helix 150cm).Further examination and actually the propeller shaft is not absolutely firm to crankshaft bearing.Is that normal?

Because it is definitly not to me.Any help will be welcomed.