Low flying Over Exmouth

Dear Members.

I just got a call a police officier who saw 2 pilots flying very low Over Exmouth beach last Saturday.

I know all of the pilots in this region, and know it wasn't any of them from the information given, so i assuming it must be visitors.

One month ago we had a low flying pilot flying over the military base in Lymstone. I got an earful from that, even though I was in another county.

If you want to fly low, please do elsewhere.

If you don't know your airlaw, there are plenty of good books to read..

Dan

Was there are person, vehicle, vessel, or structure within 500ft Dan?

Or Was he / She taking off or landing?

As odd as it seems, the police are often the last people to know the actual Airlaw so it may be worth confirming this first. :-)

I get the calls from Swindon when people take things to the edge that are nothing to do with me... I have developed a good relationship with them and explained some of the basic rules, 500ft and glide clear, gatherings of people and so on (it has massively reduced the calls)

SW :D

Looks like a compact.

I am not familiar with the area (or the person) off the top of my head. But I just wanted to ask the obvious question as Dan heard it second hand from a Police officer who may have just assumed it was illegal.

I too would like to think there was a feasible reason for this, Simon, but there are still a few pilots who don't seem to be able to resist the temptation. I feel numbers on our wings might be coming soon! I might be carrying my Garmin 96 from now on, and logging flights online somewhere, so I can absolve myself from it all. Hopefully, the word will get round, on all the forums, and this dumb behaviour will stop. If anyone knows who it is and they want to drop me a pm, please do.

:o)

the 500ft rule was designed for airplanes, this is already very conservative rule where paragliders/paramotors is concerned.

Jeez, cars, trucks and bikes are allowed to drive past buildings and people meters away. What damage would a paramotor cause compared to a truck? There is already enough rules to follow we dont need these self appointed paramotor police as well. :lol:

Has anyone ever heard of a pilot being prosecuted for low flying?

i hear lots of stories of it happening but have never come across anyone being fined for it.

Pianoman

Sent from my iPad using PMC Forum mobile app.

A local pilot in Sussex was fined £1500 plus court cost for low flying a local beach. So yes it does happen.

It's a rare priviledge to be allowed to fly without the need for a license. I appreciate it and want to keep it that way. Whether people can get caught and fined is not the point. If the PPG crowd start to accept "Moronic" flying, the rest of us will eventually have to wear what happens. Don't be complacent please. And why the f**k do you try to defend Morons ? I don't get it.

I couldn't agree more Dave!

Too many pilots take silly risks and give the rest of us a bad name and as you say, will ultimately piss off enough people to cause us to be licensed which would be a great shame!

Pianoman

Sent from my iPad using PMC Forum mobile app.

I think it is quite reasonable that unqualified pilots can fly uncertified aircraft 500ft from people, property etc.

Motorised road vehicles are subject to operator licensing, mechanical certification and regular testing, compulsary insurance and near Orwellian policing.

Would anyone really be happy to have all that applied to paramotoring? Even if it was, would there be any prospect of relaxing the 500ft rule?

Keep this in perspective and don't defend those who threaten our freedoms by abusing them.

Legislators have a habit of hitting that which is abused, rather than hitting the abusers.

Dave please understand,

I am sticking up for no one mate :-( (other than the general community that are Paramotor pilots)

The first thing to do when I complaint comes in, is to clarify that a mistake has been made in the first place. thats all I was doing.

People are far to quick to complain about Paramotors even when they are doing nothing wrong, I guess I was kind of defending that aspect.

Hi Simon

I wasn't referring to your comment at all. It was one from someone on the other side of the world. All good coz it means he probably won't be low flying on my patch, and I won't have to go knock on his door. I know you were just needing to ascertain whether an offence had been committed or not. The photo I put up might not even be the ones the police were looking for but he was less than 200 feet up and recent at Exmouth.

Totally get your point about un-neccessary complaints too. Some would like to scupper your fun, but wouldn't even give their noisy strimmer a second thought