Time to say hello

Hi Guys, I'm Shane from doncaster,

Been intrested in paramotiring for a few years now, decided to go down the sky diving route a few years ago, got my A cert and also my Canopy Handling 1 & a few jumps underr my belt, as much as I love skydiving I want to move over to paramotoring for more freedom :),

Going to have to do some saving but how would you guys recomend I get started?

*start training when I have enough money to buy a paramotor and wing,

** buy a wing and do lots of ground training while saving for rest of gear and training,

*** buy gear and do traing with my gear

**** do traing now and save up for gear?

what do you guys suggest,

Thanks

Shane

Edited by Guest

Shane

Dont do anything until you have chosen someone to train with and spoken to them and then get training as soon as possible.

I had decided to wait until I had funds to buy the kit, but you never do, as there's always something else to spend it on.

I realised that, this spring , 2years after thinking about Paramotoring.

So I took the plunge and started training at the end of April.

I now have 6 flights under my belt, and have a good secondhand wing, but am still using the school machine .

But defo don't buy anything till you have spoken to a trainer. I have seen a couple of people rock up for their first session with kit, only to be told, what they have isn't suitable for them

Patrick

A half decent school will have kit for you to use, so I would say just go for it! The end result is the same but you get flying sooner :-)

Welcome to the Paramotor Club. :-)

SW :D

Thanks guys , ill taking the straight into training route first,

I'm guessing paul haxby is my best option for an instructor being doncaster based?

I keep reading good comments aboit him?

Are there any doncaster / retford / worksop pilots on here ? I saw two guys taking off from calton in lindrick a while back,

Cheers shane

Being down South can't help with instructors, but you will be doing yourself a big favour if you are as close as possible to your training site.

Paramotoring happens in a relatively small weather window, which is even narrow as a student pilot, so the ability, to be able to be at the field easily will expand your opportunities. Equally, you won't waste huge amounts of time when, although, having checked with your instructor the previous evening, you turn up for training only to find, that on the day conditions have changed and are no longer suitable .

I am only 25 mins away .

And if you can couple that with some work flexibility, that will let you take a days leave at short notice , when conditions look OK, you will further increase your pace of learning. Be careful about booking two weeks off to learn, you will very likely be disappointed by the weather, which will have other ideas.

Learning to recognise fly able conditions early in your training is not only essential from a safety point of view it helps you look ahead at what days to book off from work!

Shane,

I would strongly recommend you get some input from local pilots (people who don't have any financial incentive) before doing any training. I made the mistake of going to a local instructor (I live not far from Doncaster) before getting any independent advice. I ended up unhappy with the quality and completeness of my training and with the inappropriateness of the kit which I was advised to buy from my instructor. I have regretted it ever since.

The best thing for me was when I joined the Yorkshire Owls paramotor club and met good, friendly pilots from all over Yorkshire and Humberside. They opened my eyes to how things are in the world of PPG, which turned out to be very different from the view presented by my instructor. I have since been re-trained and have bought equipment better suited to my needs.

The second thing I would suggest is that you consider speaking to the guys at Hull Aero (Alan and Mark). I wasn't trained by them but I have only ever heard good things about them. http://www.parafly.co.uk/index.php?pageid=training

They are a little bit further from you but I suspect a few extra miles may end up being very much worthwhile for you.

I hope this helps.

Dom

Great advice

"I would strongly recommend you get some input from local pilots (people who don't have any financial incentive) before doing any training"

Ask as many questions as you can. You will find most of the pilots more then willing to tell you everything you want to know and tons you don't really need to know lol They are a long winded bunch...

As you have time try and hit a fly-in to if you can.

Welcome to the Forum!

T