A helmet is for life not just for christmas...

paraboost

So its time for me to sort myself out some proper headgear and would like to draw on your infinite pools of wisdom! Most important is obviously noise cancelation but music playing quality is right up there. At the moment I dont use a radio but could imagine this being useful in the future, if this is greatly gonna scarifies sound quality though I'd rather go without it.

At the moment I'm tempted with the NAC-new 2000 Horus OPPIII helmet and headset of the parashop website http://parashop.co.uk/paramotorparaglidinghelmets.htm

Is anyone currently using this headset and have any feedback about it? I'm really interested to know what the sound quality is like?

I know quite a few of you are believers in the micro avionics setup but I cant bring myself around to the look of the white helmet.

I've also seen posts on here where people have gone for the simple earcups and then added helmet speakers into and wondering if you think this is best. Does this produce much better sound quality than headsets with built in speakers already like the MP001?

Cheers for any help or guidance you can lend me

I have these:

http://noisebuster.net/hard-hat-cap-mount-features.html

attached to a bike helmet. But I'm sure they would attach to most ppg helmets too.

Haven't tried the other brands, but the active noise cancellation on these works as advertised!

Having music playing whilst flying is just great, the only downside is that sometimes your mates can hear you singing along to the music.

I use an Icaro Fly helmet with the Peltor ear defenders thrown away and replaced with Micro Avionics PPG headset - great for music / radio and noise cancellation.

Yeah I've thought of going down this route - I'm glad to hear the music quality from them is good cause that was my main concern. I saw these on ebay for only $70 which seem to do the same job but I guess I must be missing something. Does anyone know if the are really so much inferior in quality or what justifies the £150 price difference?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Paramotor-Pow ... 43b6d40499

I have these:

attached to a bike helmet. But I'm sure they would attach to most ppg helmets too.

Haven't tried the other brands, but the active noise cancellation on these works as advertised!

Having music playing whilst flying is just great, the only downside is that sometimes your mates can hear you singing along to the music.

Those noise busters seem to look pretty good, but i think i'm right on saying the peltors which a lot of PPG helmets have have a higher noise cancelation rating @ 35dB

Simon, I have no idea whether noise cancelling headphones would work with a 2 stroke, but I am 99% sure that shooting ear defenders are not actually 'noise cancelling'. I've had several pairs over the years and all they do is to immediately cease their usual amplification of the background noise when a shot (or anything over a certain volume) is detected. They certainly don't do any active noise cancellation. In other words, once you start the engine they are no different from a £5 pair of passive ear defenders.

Yes, I had a pair of those ones until I left them in a ploughed field! They do exactly as you say cutting out noise above a certain level. When the sound level drops they amplify the ambient sound so that you can hear exactly as you would if you didn't have them on. However, I am still sure that when the noise level increases they simply block out the sound by cutting the amplification and then acting as a pair of passive ear defenders. You will find that if you switch them off they do just as good a noise of blocking the sound of the gun/engine. Anyway, not worth having an argument over. They are good things to have anyway.

Yes, I had a pair of those ones until I left them in a ploughed field! They do exactly as you say cutting out noise above a certain level. When the sound level drops they amplify the ambient sound so that you can hear exactly as you would if you didn't have them on. However, I am still sure that when the noise level increases they simply block out the sound by cutting the amplification and then acting as a pair of passive ear defenders. You will find that if you switch them off they do just as good a noise of blocking the sound of the gun/engine. Anyway, not worth having an argument over. They are good things to have anyway.

BTW have a look at this...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise-cancelling_headphones

I am fairly sure that the little fluffy round thing on the outside of the head set are microphones.

That Microphone listens and then sends out an opposite noise though the speaker in the headset.

I will put a quid on them being ANR headphones. :-)

SW :D

I have these:

Those noise busters seem to look pretty good, but i think i'm right on saying the peltors which a lot of PPG helmets have have a higher noise cancelation rating @ 35dB

Ahh yes the peltors do have higher ratings. BUT, all ear passive defenders are crap at low frequencies. One thing ANR is good at is: low frequencies. With the kinds of noise we get in PPG (mostly low freq prop noise), the noise busters are better than the higher rated peltors. I have had both, and I much prefer the noise busters. A great added bonus is that you can easily add music via the 3.5mm jack in the bottom - so no faffing with added speakers, and you can also get a mic option too!

Edited by Guest