What to check on a second hand Airfer

dehorridge

Tapping into the infinite knowledge on this forum. I’m soon to be the new owner of an Airfer VR200 (it’s got the Fly, aka Walkerjet, 200 engine). It’s pretty low hours at 15 from new. As expected it looks in A1 condition. I'm getting it direct from the original owner. Of course I’m aware of the obvious checks (like making sure everything is tight and safety wired etc), what else should I be looking out for or checking?

Darrel

Great engine - keep it serviced to manufacturers schedule and you should have no problems. A few had overheating problems with the earlier (small) cylinder head - mine didn't :) - but the later head should be fine. Only common weakness (mine and every other owner I've met) is the silencer ... the internal baffle breaks loose with vibration and wadding blows out - but this can be replaced with almost any similar silencer.

Only weak point on the frame (IMO) is the pivot arms / bolts - which tend to work loose and need constant attention.

Great engine - keep it serviced to manufacturers schedule and you should have no problems. A few had overheating problems with the earlier (small) cylinder head - mine didn't :) - but the later head should be fine. Only common weakness (mine and every other owner I've met) is the silencer ... the internal baffle breaks loose with vibration and wadding blows out - but this can be replaced with almost any similar silencer.

Only weak point on the frame (IMO) is the pivot arms / bolts - which tend to work loose and need constant attention.

Great. Thanks for the info. Any idea how I tell the difference between the heads? Not that I'll do much but it would be nice to know. The motor is a 2009 build.

Well I've now got the motor. A day of tinkering ahead. Looks like a very nice machine, well made and cheap. Fitted my requirements perfectly.

Got a few things on the list to buy and make.

Tach and CHT

Inserts for arms (avoid any broken arm issues).

3 blade prop.

Craft a new throttle. The standard one is crap.

Fashion a new frame clip. One is broken.

Then give it a full check over, tune up and hang test.

Then I've just got to learn how to fly.

Come on weather sort your life out.

Darrel

Well given it's still pissing down I decided to run it up and do a mini hang test in the garage. All went well although i never new there was so much dust in my garage. The motor is running a bit to rich but I'll leave the tuning until I have the tach fitted. Loads of thrust and the harness seems to be alright although I need someone (Simon W) to give some fitting advice in person. Got the hang about right with around 10 deg of tilt static and basically vertical under thrust.

Walked around a little. I know that Airfer's with the F-200 are not light but it seemed pretty good to me.

Anyway, now I need to wait for the postman to deliver bits before I can do any more.

One quick question. Anyone use Iridium plugs? Any good. Worth the money?

Thanks

Darrel

Well given it's still pissing down I decided to run it up and do a mini hang test in the garage. All went well although i never new there was so much dust in my garage. The motor is running a bit to rich but I'll leave the tuning until I have the tach fitted. Loads of thrust and the harness seems to be alright although I need someone (Simon W) to give some fitting advice in person. Got the hang about right with around 10 deg of tilt static and basically vertical under thrust.

Walked around a little. I know that Airfer's with the F-200 are not light but it seemed pretty good to me.

Anyway, now I need to wait for the postman to deliver bits before I can do any more.

One quick question. Anyone use Iridium plugs? Any good. Worth the money?

Thanks

Darrel

I used to use Iridium plugs on my H&E hoping to get more power. I think they may have a bit and lasted longer but not so much to notice and at 2 or 3 times price not sure they are worth it.

Is that the same engine as the PAP 200. It looks it. I flew the PAP 200 3 blade prop at 2500 ft ASL a few weeks ago in warm conditions and it scooped me of the ground very quick. Very powerful motor, was also flying a black devil and it had much more power than that.

Ibwould like to know the fuel burn on the PAP 200 3 blade if anyone has got one.

Regards