Apco Thrust HP for a beginner ?

Mark78

Hello forum,

I'm in possession of an Apco Thrust HP, it's a medium wing, I'm 75 kg's and it's a heavier motor I'll be flying with (Bailey). My wing has a manufactured date of 2008 and is the earlier version without the Stabilo steering. I'm quite sure the weight range for the wing is 100-165kg.

My question is how suitable is this wing for a beginner who's learning and what would it's characteristics be in the air for a pilot of my weight and experience?

I've ground handled the wing and it seems much easier to handle than the wing I used when I had my ground handling lessons.

Thanks.

According to the Importer and the manufacturer the HP is NOT a wing for low air time pilots. It sits nicely in with the 'twitchy' wings which reduces the margin for error.

SW :D

I did all my ground handling and first flights on the Thrust HP with no problem at all. I've now got about 50hrs on it. It is very easy to launch and is actually slower in the air that a Synthesis (which is marketed at beginners). Control inputs are quite heavy and it turns slowly and predictably.

On paper I think it is very similar to the Synthesis and Revo 2 in terms of performance.

With trimmers in, it is floaty and slow, and is normally compared with the standard Thrust (in fact the manual is the same).

Agreed that Apco may not aim it at beginners, but it seems that different manufacturer's have a different take on what is ok for beginners.

If you want to play safe, stick with beginners wings (but they may be faster and twitchier)!

BTW, I am the same weight as you and fly a Top 80.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

If my instructor has no problems with me using the HP then I feel I'll be as confident as I would with any other wing, I wouldn't want to compromise my safety at any cost but it would be nice to use the wing as intended.

Could anybody advise what wings fly like when you're at the bottom end of the weight range?

The HP I have is intended for 100-165kg, my up weight will be about 120kg.

Mark, on a public forum most people are going to advise following the manufacturers guidelines, which are important - but the most crucial safety aspect is choosing the right conditions to fly in.

I started with an Apco Thrust which was incredibly safe, but a bit boring so I traded it in fairly quickly. I don't think the HP version would be dangerous - just a bit more lively for a beginner.

You will be well into the lower half of the weight range which is fine (anywhere within the certified range is OK) and probably the best part of the range for you to be in as the performance will all be slightly 'softer' and less dynamic than flying at the top of the range.

This might be of interest: http://www.footflyer.com/Equipment/Wings/ApcoHP/paraglider_review_ApcoHP.htm

Mark, at 110kg all up, I am even lighter than you on the same wing. As Aquatix stated, it makes the wing feel softer, and will also give you a better climb rate and fuel efficiency (in terms of litres/hr), and should get you off the ground quicker. I can maintain level flight with a trickle of throttle even on a Top 80, and have no problems climbing with full trim and speed bar.

No doubt, if had chosen the small Thrust HP and flown it at the top of the weight range, then it would be more dynamic and responsive, and perhaps not suited for a beginner.

Personally, I think the HP will be fine for you, but listen to your instructor. If you have any doubts, that will affect your flying more than the choice of wing!

Steve