Service?

ek2000

I am going to be getting a new motor soon and after looking around I got my short list down to about three - 2 two strokes and a V5. Now looking a little more into it, it sounds like there is quite a bit of ongoing service required for the two strokes - for example the Moster.

I am not terribly mechanical, and other than the most basic torque checking I would rather have someone who know what they are doing do the work.

Here is my question:

Who does your 2 stroke service? (I mean serous service that requires opening the engine and the carb)

How do you do get your motor there?

For example, for the Moster, after 100 hours you are supposed to replace a reed valve and a number of carb components. I know for some of you guys on this forum it sounds simple, but I would rather not have the guts of my motor all over the dining room table... So what are the alternatives?

Do you send to the Vitorazzi factory?

Thanks,

Eugene

Eugene

Most servicing is down to aptitude and possibly some special tooling. Reed blocks once carb is removed is a further four hex bolts job done in under five minutes. Big jobs like crank removable and refit normally require pressing equipment which takes it past most flyers garage equipment. We offer to all Bulldog customers full service back up. Don't tend to get involved with other makes as tooling and spare parts become more an headache.

Hi Eugene

Most people will enter a club / group of pilots. In that group of pilots will be one of the people who can change reed valves with ease.

The reality is, this is how I see most maintenance happening on a daily basis. ( I tend to get one of the colins or Pete to do my mechanical stuff.

SW :D

Hi Eugene

I dont think that 100 hours is bad for stripping down your motor and checking and replacing parts!! That could be around 3 years of flying for most pilots.... If you do have trouble then i am sure there are pilots local to you that do have a garage or shop you could use to strip it down for a service.

I always say it's best to buy British or have a good local dealer for an imported unit. Then if you do have trouble with your unit it's not going to cost the earth to send back or to get it fixed..

With H&E machines, they do a service where you can arrange to get the engine picked up and taken to their factory for a check over, service and test. Had both my machines done at 250 hours. You only need to send the engine, not the complete frame- dosen't take too long, and not too expensive either- depends on what needs to be replaced. At least you have the satisfaction that the manufacturer has carried out the service, and they'll stand by it.

GD

Not ALL!!!! :wink: Bailey do not like sending units by currier to customers as they have had them damaged in the past..... Doesn't mean they wont. But we are going to offer our local customers the delivery service when we go to collect new units. Or for a small fee when we have have a group who need services or repairs.

Thank you, guys.

This sounds reasonable. I forgot that I can take the motor out of the frame and send it off to the manufacturer.

Now I need a few nice flyable weekends to make my next-motor research a little less theoretical :)

Cheers,

Eugene

Your more than welcome to come down to hambrook for a demo when we have the V5's in stock in the next couple of weeks....

I am sure we can organise Steve to come down with his bulldog and poss a Parajet if he had one in stock, and Peter with his Nirvana's so you can kill a few birds with one stone.... If your interested in those other makes, 3 dealers one field one day!!!! :wink: