Flat Top...

rob999

As a newbie, not sure if this should be here or in beginners..

But, watching numerous YouTube vids, I notie that Flat Tops seem to be very common in the states.. Are they really as good as everyone seems to say? And if so, are they avail in this country ?

As a newbie, not sure if this should be here or in beginners..

But, watching numerous YouTube vids, I notie that Flat Tops seem to be very common in the states.. Are they really as good as everyone seems to say? And if so, are they avail in this country ?

I was in exactly the same position when I started my research and knowing nothing, and everywhere I turned it was Flat Top and K2, everything else is rubbish or dangerous. I was quickly enlightened by many much more experienced pilots about Dell's marketing division (YouTube).

I saw lots of TV adverts telling me that Carlsberg was 'probably' the best lager in the world .... but after tasting it I disagree & prefer to drink other brands. :lol:

The FT has good & bad points like every paramotor - some like it, some prefer other brands. Much of the marketing (like its indestructibility) is just hype - like the Carlsberg ads. It is certainly available in UK from respected dealers, so you can check it out.

Best to get some training / flying experience first, and weigh up all the other options (and facts) before making a potentially expensive purchase based on youtube video's - no matter how awesome they look .... :roll:

Was that non-biased enough Dave ?? :wink:

Thanks for the responses, to be honest, its what I thought.

I always find that things that are shouted about as being the best ever, generally aren't....

Thanks again.. I'm still looking at the how do things work and what is this bit and that bit stage !! Miles off from looking to buy anything... not to mention raising large amounts of cash to fund it all.. :lol:

Really you should go to where people are flying, meet up, and see the equipment people are actually flying & ask questions in person.

I wish I had done this initially as it would have saved a few expensive mistakes due to eagerness & marketing hype.

Also, forum opinions can end up heavily biased or influenced by dealers .....

Hi Rob

Aside from the marketing hype it is a pretty sound machine really. It's strong points are, it's big on power and economy (simonini 200 mini 2 plus) and it's pretty difficult to break a prop or mutilate yourself because the cage is probably the most sturdy. Having said that my first one broke clean in two after 150 hours of use. The manufacturer had a new frame over in 2 weeks FOC . On my second one now, which has the Moster 185 motor. It's light at under 25 kgs and still fairly powerfull. As yet I haven't been able to get quite down to 3.5 ltrs/hour fuel burn and it seems a little louder than the Simonini 200 version, but suffers less with torque steer and the wider hook in points give alot more weight shift. Great aslong as you dont mind getting thrown around when it's bumpy. The quick release harness is pretty slick too, although the legstraps can cut into your manhood a bit but you wont be running too long or far with that amount of power unless you have a really small or really crap wing. I cant comment on the K2 but a couple of friends love them and my Atis 2 is similar and I have got on really well with it. Not fast but fun and safe and efficient and very good for hooking thermals. For low airtime pilots they leave the ground quickly and give slow and soft landings. With more experience you can pull the brakes harder and dive the turns or do big wingovers. I fly a reflex wing too which is faster.

If you want to stay British I'd have a good look at the Bulldog.

Alan.....pretty good for you mate....how was mine ?

Dave

Dave, you forgot to add that it is easier to get seated after take off than many paramotor harnesses .... :wink: Yes, my 2 main gripes were the torque steer and getting thrown about in turbulence - both totally absent in the Kobra due to the active pivot arms, as you can see them moving up and down but you remain stable in the seat.

The FT is a good choice if you are wide build or plan to make lots of hard landings. The Kobra is equally strong but with a heavy weight penalty due to the stainless steel frame & cage. Pro's & cons to all paramotor designs really.

Alan :)

I'm learning on a daily basis..

I've just booked in for a course with Simon starting on the 3rd Sept, weather permitting... as the man on the Flat Top advert seems very fond of saying YEEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAA..

Personally I prefer a more sedate...I'M REALLY EXCITED.... but I guess thats cos I'm a more reserved Brit..

But I am really really excited about it.. :acro: