Paramotor sites in Devon ?

Surely they don't own the bay?

There must be somewhere that a Paramotor can take off without getting in the way of the tree huggers?

You can't just write off an 'entire area' because some PG pilots use a bit of it as well.

Its the same as saying that I cant fly along the Coombe Gibbet Ridge or the white horse. (which I have done many times) more often than not, there is no one there as the wind is slightly off the hill.

Never had a complaint for either.

SW :D

Fly the B******d! Now that I know how much it would annoy them I will make a special effort to go there.

Allow me to explain. Its a 220 mile drive but years ago I used to surf the area but paragliding came along. One time I decided to take my wing there and fly Woolacombe. Although a bhpa member and a member of 2 hill flying clubs I decided to respect the local clubs wishes and so paid for a temporary membership. I wont go into detail but one of the mentioned blokes badly ripped the piss out of me whilst the local crowd watched on laughing. It was not friendly banter and I left feeling very wronged. After giving further thought at how visiting pilots are treated I sent an email of complaint to the club - I got no reply.

It seems if you live there you own the area, an attitude I picked up on with the surfing community - visitors are called "weekenders".

Nige

I think its down to attitude...

If told in a nasty or impolite way that I cant fly in Willacomb. And there is no LEGAL reason why I could not. I would take in all of the local sights for sure.

If however they asked me nicely to keep a wide birth of there site, I would do so and they would most likely not even know I was there.

PLEASE DO NOT FLY YOUR PARAMOTOR OVER WOOLACOMBE

http://www.northdevon.madasafish.com/vi ... sitors.htm

The site resides in a very sensitive area and it could put pressure on the club to impose restrictions for at least the free flyers amongst us, or even ban the use of paragliders from flying off the hill.

Please respect their free flying site, there are plenty of other beautiful parts of the coast to fly over without upsetting the Wooly locals who have made it very explicit on their website.

Please speak with their sites officer in first instance (in the above link).

Richard

NO Nigel....

Well done Richard...much better attitude.

Great site, great club.....I would love to fly my paramotor to Woolacombe beach and land for a breakfast at the cafe. I dont, because there are plenty of other places to fly and have been asked, very nicely, if I would mind much avoiding the area so that they might keep the privaledge of using the hill for free flight. I also enjoy free flying there on occasion. It's great.

As an aside / joke!!!!

So what your saying is, we should fly there! Because then the PG pilots will get banned, then there would be no one to moan and or nicely ask us not too :lol::lol:

Don't worry gentlemen, an old wound was opened but I,m ok now. I wouldnt stoop that low, speaking of which if I should decide that I would like to do a coastal tour of my old surfing haunts how much clearance would you like around Woolacombe and the Down?

Nige

Thanks Nige. Pleased to hear that,and sorry if you had a bit of attitude, however long ago !

If partaking in a coastal flight I would probably be around 1000ft AGL (min) and more likely 1500 ft. 2000 ft on week days. Knowing the site, I would also give it half a kilometre, horizontally. ie. onshore wind, I'd be over the sea, with bags of height to glide well inland to the flatter fields.

Simon. If there were parawaiters, on the ground, with wings unbagged but uninflated, I would probably ring Joey to see if he was one of them, and ask what it's like to be stuck on the ground.

adios boys. Of to work now.