Larger Fuel Tank

mike1714

Is there, or has anyone managed to 'bastard fit' a larger fuel tank to a PAP125? It currently has a 13litre tank and I would love to have a circa 20 litre size.

I do remember seeing Whitters with a larger tank........a marine fuel tank of sorts fitted - I think.

My reasoning for this is that I want to go further and beyond.

I want to further my cross country jaunts.

I am trying to source something but they are either too large or too small.

I am also considering having a custom aluminium tank made but wonder if this might end up being too heavy as oppossed to plastic. I could have a handle made and have it detachable for ease of filling etc etc.

The fuel gauge side I have sorted.

Thoughts.....good or bad!

Mike

A 20 litre tank- just how far do you want to fly? and for how long.... 2 hours in the harness (7 litres) gets pretty uncomfortable.... imagine what 4 or 5 hours would be like.

I want to fly further than Whitters !!!!!

Comfort I have, and over two hours on some days just isnt enough. I want to be able to do round trips if needed?!

Polished aluminium would look real cool.....................will have to get some quotes.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
A 20 litre tank- just how far do you want to fly? and for how long.... 2 hours in the harness (7 litres) gets pretty uncomfortable.... imagine what 4 or 5 hours would be like.

I want to fly further than Whitters !!!!!

Comfort I have, and over two hours on some days just isnt enough. I want to be able to do round trips if needed?!

Polished aluminium would look real cool.....................will have to get some quotes.

Mike

I like your style Mike.

I am pleased with mine especially now I have attached quick clips to the hose and breather allowing easy removal for out landing refuel. Dan found a red marine tank that fitted in our frame after a little bit of heating with an electric paint gun. Phots of mine in the Safety section. Unfortunately though since those phots my frame has changed shape a little, but I don't want to talk about it :oops:

The only down side of the red tank is that whilst in the air you can't see the contents so you need to know your fuel burn which isn't easy sometimes. I did a 52 mile flight today in 2 hours 5 mins and ran out of fuel just as I was approaching the landing field and cleared the hedge by 10 ft :shock: . I took off just before midday with just under 14 ltrs expecting an easy 2 hours with 3 ltrs spare. It was as rough as hell very thermic and an inversion that started at 700 ft up to 1500, I think these conditions made for more fuel burn. :?:

Im considering fitting a Bing carb and pump as these are more fuel economical for some reason. Hoping to fly the coast of Devon and Cornwall mid next month bivouac style with Dan. Aboout 400 miles. My H&E burns <4 ltrs hour with 17ltr tank but is under powered for me and a struggle to get off sometimes.

My tank takes 21.5 ltrs but could be heated and pressurised / stretched to take a bit more but its bloody heavy when full as it is.

What gauge have you got Mike.

Regards.

Hi whitters,

This is the link .. http://www.deeter.co.uk/hlls2.htm

It costs peanuts , eight quid I think it runs off 3v-12v what ever you have really (battery holder from Maplins). Fuel resistant!.Just drill a hole in the tank externally whatever level to suit and its fitted externally...........could even fit two to denote different levels? A guy from an Americam paramotor site fitted it together with a small LED light to warn him......................hasn't failed him yet!.

After meeting you on the France trip you inspired me to want to go further a field bivouac style, broaden my horizons so to speak!

Actually i didnt think of heating the tank to fit?.................ws looking to alter the frame to fit? Duhhh!

Good luck on your trip.

Mike (two tents!)

Hi whitters,

It costs peanuts , eight quid I think it runs off 3v-12v what ever you have really (battery holder from Maplins). Fuel resistant!.Just drill a hole in the tank externally whatever level to suit and its fitted externally...........could even fit two to denote different levels? A guy from an Americam paramotor site fitted it together with a small LED light to warn him......................hasn't failed him yet!.

After meeting you on the France trip you inspired me to want to go further a field bivouac style, broaden my horizons so to speak!

Actually i didnt think of heating the tank to fit?.................ws looking to alter the frame to fit? Duhhh!

Good luck on your trip.

Mike (two tents!)

Hi Mike. Thanks for the nice comment.

Does this sensor provide just final few ltrs of fuel as a warning or does it come with an arm extension with float and follow the fuel level from top to bottom? If that makes sense.

PS: Ive got a couple of tents going spare in the garage if you need another. :lol:

Hi whitters,

Good luck on your trip.

Mike (two tents!)

Hi Mike. Thanks for the nice comment.

Does this sensor provide just final few ltrs of fuel as a warning or does it come with an arm extension with float and follow the fuel level from top to bottom? If that makes sense.

PS: Ive got a couple of tents going spare in the garage if you need another. :lol:

Thanks for the offer of a tent ( I think I have plenty of them now)

Yes it is a type of float that warns of fuel level at that point. You could have two lets say at 50% and 25% and they would be your warning levels (extra cable etc)

This link explains how its done with pictures.........

http://www.aerocorsair.com/id29.htm

I have also been considering using a probe as per link below...

http://shop.airworlduk.com/airworld-sol ... -142-p.asp

The probe combined with this scooter fuel gauge as per link below.....

http://www.lambrettaspares.com/sparepar ... 00014.html

I think I prefer the scooter gauge and probe as that will then monitor fuel level from top to bottom? I also like the idea that the probe can be trimmed and fitted to any fuel tank? Power would be from rechageable batteries etc etc

I think I will experiment with this and see what happens etc etc?

Hope my above thoughts are of use/interest etc.

Good luck on your trip.........please post and let me know how you get on.

Mike