GPS

togsie

Hi Norman & Martin,

I have the Standard Google Earth, (Free Download) and I can,t get any track overlay either.

I have been told by other Paraglider Pilots that GE Plus is required.

Norman, if your little bit of further research proves positive,please let me know how it can be done.

I look forward to seeing you both soon at Lambourn.

Cheers

Terry

Martin/TerryW,

Terry,

On my Mac if I double click on a .kml track it launches GE. As I have the Plus package all I need then do is zoom in to the area where the track was flown and on the way in I see the blue track line growing as the picture grows.

I believe from the 'paperwork' on the GE website that a plus upgrade is required; I don't understand why Martin can see the tracks.

The short answer is, if you are using the methods described above with GE Plus installed, you should see your imported tracks. You may see tracks on the standard free version.

If you drag and drop a .gpx file into GE it will display it as well.

Martin, are these tracks that you made or examples from GE or other sources?

Did you download the tracks from GE then visit them as described above or were they yours from your GPS? It shouldn't actually make any difference really unless GE shows tracks that are stored on their servers in the free version.

I will look into these questions over the next week during my next trip. I am just about to fly home and don't have the time at the moment.

When I click on your track link I get a load of KML code. I have google earth so what now?

SW :D

Norman,

I'm having the same problem, the file is being saved with a .xml extension and when I click on it it opens in a browser window wheather I've got Google Earth running or not.

What should the correct file extension be?

I'm running Windows Vista.

Regards

Togsie

Hi All

Just tried it again.

Save file to desktop.

rename with file extension as .kml

open GEarth

Then do

File

Open

Desktop

Norman's file (now a .kml)

zoom into the ridgeway site at the club

go to slant view for best view.

Hope that helps

Martin

(see my album for a screen shot)

Ken,

When you download the file your computer doesn't know what sort of file it is - so it guesses based on its content (it is essentially an .xml file but I'm guessing).

The file contents don't change because of this and so when you rename the file with its 'new' .kml extension, it just accepts it. When you load GE and double click on the .kml it recognizes mummy (GE) and goes home big time.

It sounds like you found the reason it wasn't loading Togsie. :lol:

Hi All,

Renaming the file with the .kml extension has done the trick, it's now working.

It would also be interesting to import it into Memory Map and use the the "Fly Through" feature to view Normam's flight. Anyone any idea how you'd go about that one?

I'm off to Spain later today to finish off my training and I'm taking my GPS with me, I'm really hoping that I'll have a flight track log of my own to post when I get back.

I'll post my progress in my training blog when I return in a week's time.

Regards.

Togsie