Nil wind landings

matt_k

I find exactly the same with my Revo2. I guess you can't have it all ways. I was very happy with my average 30mph speed and 50mph top speed the other day, but the nil wind landing, as you describe was very fast.

For me with my dodgy spine, it presents me with my lower backs worse case scenario ie being sat still for around 50 minutes then suddenly having to hit the ground running with almost 50% extra weight to bear. :shock:

Dan

Hi Dan,

Where are you in the weight range?

I think power off nil wind landings are most peoples demon and can be tricky after a long cold flight for sure.

If you have an injury to consider, you should look into when you can and can't fly V your skill set V your injury. Also it slows landings down ALOT when your in the top 3rd of the weight range. (without loosing any noticeable full fast speed.)

People seem to opt for a higher loading, for stability but the downside (talking mainly to the newbies here) is a faster take off and landing speed (during your learning phase of the first year / 50 hours)

SW :D

I find exactly the same with my Revo2. I guess you can't have it all ways. I was very happy with my average 30mph speed and 50mph top speed the other day, but the nil wind landing, as you describe was very fast.

I'm with you on that !! Observers can't believe how fast & steep I come in with motor off in nil wind - much less 'floaty' than a Synthesis. Paramania advise coming in hands up with trimmers set to 3 (between full slow & neutral), then bleeding off the speed just above the ground before the flare.

Unfortunately you need nerves of steel after a longish flight when the ground suddenly rushes up at you, and I tend to 'bottle it' and start applying brakes a bit early, leaving me less in reserve for a decent flare and run off. I understand the perceived 'ground rush' effect and guess its just a confidence thing in having faith in the wing, but the glide ratio when landing is half that of my PG wing, despite what the brochure says...

Strangely, nil wind take offs don't seem to require as much speed or distance as other wings, which is hard to understand. :|

Unfortunately you need nerves of steel after a longish flight when the ground suddenly rushes up at you, and I tend to 'bottle it' and start applying brakes a bit early, leaving me less in reserve for a decent flare and run off. I understand the perceived 'ground rush' effect and guess its just a confidence thing in having faith in the wing, but the glide ratio when landing is half that of my PG wing, despite what the brochure says...

Completely relate. My experience exactly, even the shorter take off!

Hi Dan,

Where are you in the weight range?

I think power off nil wind landings are most peoples demon and can be tricky after a long cold flight for sure.

If you have an injury to consider, you should look into when you can and can't fly V your skill set V your injury. Also it slows landings down ALOT when your in the top 3rd of the weight range. (without loosing any noticeable full fast speed.)

People seem to opt for a higher loading, for stability but the downside (talking mainly to the newbies here) is a faster take off and landing speed (during your learning phase of the first year / 50 hours)

SW :D

Hi Simon

I'm on a 26 Revo2 and weigh 83kg (about 125kg all up). The range of the 26 R2 is 80 - 185, so I'm just under half way, which probably explains the higher speed.

It's a big fly/no fly deciding factor for me. If my back feels a bit stiff or susceptable, it's a no-go, 'cause I know that I'll regret it when my back goes and I can't fly for a couple of weeks.

This growing old lark f****n' stinks :cry:

Life's like a bog roll. When it's new you think it will last forever, but when you're half way through it seems to run out really quickly :wink:

Ta for your much appreciated words of wisdom

Dan

Nil wind landings, for me, were a sinch with the Sky Atis 2. A little slower than the Revo but the glide ratio was good. Although a good 40 kilos over the max placard for free flying, a gentle touchdown was always possible. Now the Nucleon is a different story. Flys faster, even trims closed, than the Atis. Haven't quite mastered nil wind landings yet but easy into a light breeze. I do feel a couple of wraps of brake might be neccessary to achieve more consistent landings. That, or, my arms are too short .

Dave