Trikes & Quads - Extra Training?

Richard1910

this is going to put the pigeons amongst the cats and I would never engourage any law breaking

as I myself would never ever myself :wink: go faster on my car or motorcycle than the national speed limit :wink::wink::wink:

however in my opinion this type of flying is at a total disarray as far as training and obtaining a legal licence....

my mate bought who incidentally has a full licence to fly microlights bought a brand new Bailey trike got his required reg no on the wing then undertook a weekend course from somebody who is bmaa reg as a trainer.....when he came back to our local field ....and failed a few take offs much to everybodys amusement :lol::lol::lol:

a couple of us went over to help get his wing out of one of the two small trees in a twenty acre flat field....how it ended up there soon became apparent....

He didnt even know which lines did what not even which ones were the A lines .....so a quick bit of advice on what did what and off he went again ....he kept slowing as soon as the wing came up resulting eventually in loads of lines getting broken by the prop.....he didnt have a clue he thought that once the wing went up he could then ease off the power have a good look at it admire the reg no and then if 20 seconds later all was ok give it some.....and take off..... :oops:

When quizzed after his tears had dried up......he had been told to go away and practice flying the trike then go back for assessment and if it was ok they would issue a certificate....up to this point he had never flown the trike and had only been pulled into the air by a winch paraglider style on his feet which explained why he didnt know which line did what....

He has since got airborne on his own (after another set of lines) but says he keeps going round and round in large circles....god only knows whats going on .....but at least he is undergoing instruction :roll: BY HIMSELF...until he feels he is good enough to pass the GFT (general flight test).....at least it will make it easier on the so called instructor to access his flying by going round in circles watching his pupil that is unless he gets dizzy and falls over :shock:

What a load of Bollocks that training is.......you could also go this route.....just head for a school near the pennines begining with A...........with a load of cash :cry::cry::cry::cry:

I think you're exactly right. The problem is that it is controlled by the BMAA, most of whom haven't a clue fow to fly our wings. The 'training' is observed solo flying followed by a 'test' involving the examiner asking the student to perform certain maneuvres while he watches from the ground.

I have done some trike flying overseas so have a resonable idea about what is involved here. People tend to think that trike flying will make life easy but it doesn't because there is no ability to stabilise the wing by stepping sideways during the launch. Also the only realistic way to launch the wing is to forward launch with a large amount of power regardless of what the wind strength is. Foot launch is a far nicer way to fly IMO.

Also the only realistic way to launch the wing is to forward launch with a large amount of power regardless of what the wind strength is.

I think a lot of the USA videos showing trike launches are in nil or very low wind.

Foot launch is a far nicer way to fly IMO.

If your legs and knees are OK I would agree. I am wondering whether to build a trike as I can fly one with my French license over here, and probably legally in the UK too.

Cheers,

Alan

Dudek ReActionTST 29

Fresh Breeze Airboss (Solo)

What a load of Bollocks that training is.......you could also go this route.....just head for a school near the pennines begining with A...........with a load of cash :cry::cry::cry::cry:

It's just with you saying "just head for a school near the pennines" Do you mean the peak district?

Richard X