For Norman and Piers

A couple of recent flights here in Cornwall to just wet your whistle because summer is here and the flying has been good for April.

This first GE pic of a flight was on 20th April. A flight that Norman is looking forward to doing and a regular route for me on a N to NW wind direction. GPS info 74 miles over 2.5 hours. Average moving speed of 29.2mph and a max of 43.3mph. I text Norman the details of the flight after completion. I won't repeat his reply.

573363fbddf3d_010510GE.jpg.99eb61c0288a8

573363fbe45e7_DSCF1886(Medium).JPG.fd8d3

573363fbe77ae_DSCF1879(Medium).JPG.95458

Some lovely coastal flying there Rich........

Do you find there is much difference in fuel consumption between your Fresh Breeze and the Macro?......

Neil.. :D

Hi Neil.

Just looked up my recorded details of the Macro when preparing for the Tip to Tip. When we first received the motors they had the small 10 ltr tanks on the Macro supplied.

On the 01-06-08 I fully fueled the small tank leaning it back and filling to the max thinking I was using 10 ltrs I will copy what I wrote in my flying log as follows:

On 01-06-08. Carharthan Farm to St Agnes over the A+E summer ball marque, on to Perranporth and return. This is my 2nd flight on parajet macro, fueled to the max. Mis-judged consumption and ran out of fuel near Trispen Garage to land in football field. Phoned Jackie who came out to re-fuel. Took off from next door cricket pitch for leisurely flight back. Initial flight 96 mins to run out. 2nd return flight 24 mins. 56.3 miles Av 28.1 Max 43.1. Good take off and landings. Like the Macro but ?? only 8.5 ltr tank. ??6.25 ltrs and hour.

On 08-06-08 Flew endurance test flight but failed to record the details in flight log.

On 09-06-08. From Carnharthan farm to Porthtowan on to St Agnes to Goonhavern and around probus and return endurance test for macro. Take off difficult in an up slope field down wind of farm buildings 2 failed launches. 41.3 miles Av 24.5 Max 39.6mph Discovered that the fuel tank is 8.8ltrs only: Used 5.28 ltrs hour 100 mins GPS moving time conservative flying trimmers on slow didn't make any difference from yesterdays flight.

On 14-06-10. 60 min flight but no record of consumption etc.

LARGE TANK NOW FITTED ON MACRO

On 23 06 08. Carharthan Farm to st ives and return endurance test flight for Macro large tank. Total endurance 2 hours 31 mins over 68.8 miles Av 27.2 Max 45.1mph in lively conditions. Ran out of fuel over Tresillian but made good landing at take off field. Tank capacity is 13.75 ltrs therefore 5.5 ltrs an hour.

The above flights were with a Paramania Action wing hence little difference in fuel usage on trimmer settings.

I then flew the Macro on the Paramania Revolution for the first time on the 20-07-08 and again on the 22-07-08 just before the tip to tip but recorded only details of my experience of the wing and didn't record the fuel usage. What I did record was: ...Trim system makes big difference in the feel of the wing faster than the Action with a better climb at take off....

I would imagine the fuel consumption for your Macro on a wing like the revo would be close to 6 ltrs an hour with 5.5 achievable with slow trim and carefull flying.

Some of the fuel tanks from Paramania were thicker walled and lower capacity. You may have a 13.75 ltr tank or bigger. Obviously need to accurately measure the capacity and mark gradients in order to get accurate fuel consumption readings. I do this at home with a measuring jug on a level surface with a permanent marker then carefully scratch the tank with a nail so I don't have to go through the boring task of filling my tank with a measuring jug again.

Sorry to sound like a bit of an anorak on the fuel thing but most of my flights are long XC's and I always record all details including fuel amd speed so I can flight plan better. Having had more unscheduled outlandings than I care to remember I strive to avoid these.

Hope this is useful.

What are you returning on yours Neil?

That looks like abrilliant couple of flights!

I might be being a bit dull, but how do you get the airspace 3d overlay on google maps?

Cheers,

Tj

Tj, you can download the overlay here:

http://www.lloydbailey.net/

Very useful it is too.

Thanks Togsy thats great. My version still had the MATZ over Newquay which is no longer there and it obscured my track so I left it off. On this updated version the flight path goes over the ATZ and looks good.

Cheers

Whitters.

Do you find there is much difference in fuel consumption between your Fresh Breeze and the Macro?......

Hi Neil.

Just looked up my recorded details of the Macro when preparing for the Tip to Tip. When we first received the motors they had the small 10 ltr tanks on the Macro supplied.

On the 01-06-08 I fully fueled the small tank leaning it back and filling to the max thinking I was using 10 ltrs I will copy what I wrote in my flying log as follows:

On 01-06-08. Carharthan Farm to St Agnes over the A+E summer ball marque, on to Perranporth and return. This is my 2nd flight on parajet macro, fueled to the max. Mis-judged consumption and ran out of fuel near Trispen Garage to land in football field. Phoned Jackie who came out to re-fuel. Took off from next door cricket pitch for leisurely flight back. Initial flight 96 mins to run out. 2nd return flight 24 mins. 56.3 miles Av 28.1 Max 43.1. Good take off and landings. Like the Macro but ?? only 8.5 ltr tank. ??6.25 ltrs and hour.

On 08-06-08 Flew endurance test flight but failed to record the details in flight log.

On 09-06-08. From Carnharthan farm to Porthtowan on to St Agnes to Goonhavern and around probus and return endurance test for macro. Take off difficult in an up slope field down wind of farm buildings 2 failed launches. 41.3 miles Av 24.5 Max 39.6mph Discovered that the fuel tank is 8.8ltrs only: Used 5.28 ltrs hour 100 mins GPS moving time conservative flying trimmers on slow didn't make any difference from yesterdays flight.

On 14-06-10. 60 min flight but no record of consumption etc.

LARGE TANK NOW FITTED ON MACRO

On 23 06 08. Carharthan Farm to st ives and return endurance test flight for Macro large tank. Total endurance 2 hours 31 mins over 68.8 miles Av 27.2 Max 45.1mph in lively conditions. Ran out of fuel over Tresillian but made good landing at take off field. Tank capacity is 13.75 ltrs therefore 5.5 ltrs an hour.

The above flights were with a Paramania Action wing hence little difference in fuel usage on trimmer settings.

I then flew the Macro on the Paramania Revolution for the first time on the 20-07-08 and again on the 22-07-08 just before the tip to tip but recorded only details of my experience of the wing and didn't record the fuel usage. What I did record was: ...Trim system makes big difference in the feel of the wing faster than the Action with a better climb at take off....

I would imagine the fuel consumption for your Macro on a wing like the revo would be close to 6 ltrs an hour with 5.5 achievable with slow trim and carefull flying.

Some of the fuel tanks from Paramania were thicker walled and lower capacity. You may have a 13.75 ltr tank or bigger. Obviously need to accurately measure the capacity and mark gradients in order to get accurate fuel consumption readings. I do this at home with a measuring jug on a level surface with a permanent marker then carefully scratch the tank with a nail so I don't have to go through the boring task of filling my tank with a measuring jug again.

Sorry to sound like a bit of an anorak on the fuel thing but most of my flights are long XC's and I always record all details including fuel amd speed so I can flight plan better. Having had more unscheduled outlandings than I care to remember I strive to avoid these.

Hope this is useful.

What are you returning on yours Neil?

Hi Rich,

Cheers for the detailed reply!! :D

I haven't done any long XC's yet, so I'm just trying to get a rough idea of what fuel consumption to expect.

Hopefully my next flight will be from The Flagpole down to the radio mast on the M4 and back. I think it's roughly a 20K round trip, so will be interesting to see what I use.

I haven't measured the capacity of the tank yet, but I think It's the large one, (approx 14 litres...?)

I filled the tank up to about 2" below the filler cap, and was quite surprised at the weight...... :shock: but I suppose I'll get used to that!!

I'll let you know as soon as I have some stats.....

Cheers,

Hi Rich,

Cheers for the detailed reply!! :D

I haven't done any long XC's yet, so I'm just trying to get a rough idea of what fuel consumption to expect.

Hopefully my next flight will be from The Flagpole down to the radio mast on the M4 and back. I think it's roughly a 20K round trip, so will be interesting to see what I use.

I haven't measured the capacity of the tank yet, but I think It's the large one, (approx 14 litres...?)

I filled the tank up to about 2" below the filler cap, and was quite surprised at the weight...... :shock: but I suppose I'll get used to that!!

I'll let you know as soon as I have some stats.....

Cheers,

Hi Neil.

As soon as you commit your take off run the wing lifts the weight off you so try not to let the weight introduce any negative thoughts when preperaring to launch. Prepare your wing on the ground properly with care on forward launch so you get it first time, make sure you achieve positive effort bringing the wing up and then let the motor do the work making sure you don't jump into the harness. (A fault I have trouble with sometimes). Run forrest run.

Its only heavy when stationary on the ground (if you know what i mean). The harness on the Parajet machines is very good and spreads the weight nicely on your back rather than loaded on the shoulders so is a good machine for big tanks. fresh breeze sportix is similar.

Dan and I filled our tanks with 20 ltrs last week and it did feel heavy but as soon as running forward the weight was gone. Our tanks are 21 and bit ltr capacity and will be fueled to the max next month at the USSR rally.

Regards

Whitters.