Started to learn... then had 5 years off, where to start now

Hi All,

i did a couple of days training with AXB about 4/5 years ago, then did nothing untill the end of last year when i bought a used advance 4 with harness off ebay.

I though that if i played with it a bit it would come back to me and i could start learning again... so off i trotted to a local field,

I was trying to practice a reverse launch (with the intention of kiting it for a bit)

but each time it went up it just pulled to one side and droped to the ground. I can't seem to get the feel for it again...

so i am wondering if there is anywhere on this site or the web with good beginners tips for ground handling ?

Thanks, Zac

Hi All,

i did a couple of days training with AXB about 4/5 years ago, then did nothing untill the end of last year when i bought a used advance 4 with harness off ebay.

I though that if i played with it a bit it would come back to me and i could start learning again... so off i trotted to a local field,

I was trying to practice a reverse launch (with the intention of kiting it for a bit)

but each time it went up it just pulled to one side and droped to the ground. I can't seem to get the feel for it again...

so i am wondering if there is anywhere on this site or the web with good beginners tips for ground handling ?

Thanks, Zac

Hi Zac.

You can teach yourself as many have done in the past but at best you will break more props cages cut lines and sustain minor injuries during the process. At worst; well lets not think about that.

Get some more instruction.

Its not just about getting off the ground. Its the whole aspect of where when to fly, how to check and prepare your kit. Is your motor and wing well suited for each other and for you? For example is your harness and hang point set up properly? If not, your break handles might get sucked streight into the prop the moment you park them in the magnets to get into the seat properly. I mention this point because it happened to me on my very first paramotor flight. The most frightening thing about my experience looking back now was that I didn't know how close to being killed I was.

Being instructed properly will cost about the same as a cage and 2 props. It could save a whole lot more. :?:

Take care.

whitters.

Can't add much to that Whitters, spot on advice.

Curious tho - Advance 4 and harness?

If it's used gear then you may want to check your line lengths, if it's an Epsilon 4 it's not difficult to kite once you know how.

Learning to kite has probably sent more prospective pilots packing than the rest of the sport.

The curve is steep initially and goes vertical when you mix in bad conditions (ref: training for meteo).

If it's a groundhandler you bought, then find thee some laminar winds light enough to barely inflate and build up from there.

Build a wall and pick it up, let it down, one side up - let it down, other side, middle, all.

Drills that build skill AND confidence. When you can pick the wing off the ground and hold it *halfway* up, you'll have a jump on many pilots for wing control and it will pay dividends down the road.

Learning to fly your wing starts long before your feet leave the ground.

Groundhandling playlist on youtube - at the least entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/user/zorackthegrate#p/c/A2784B9C3875C540/0/Ec1bwkXmUy8

thanks for the advice,

so it looks like i need to save my pennys for some more training....

The wing is an omega 4 made by Advance, (i keep wrongly calling it an advance 4) its a 1998 wing thats had little use but i only realy intend to use it for ground handling.

I can build a wall and hold it fully inflated with the trailing edge along the floor but as soon as i lift the A risers to bring it overhead it shoots up (i can slow this down by walking under the wing as it comes up, but once up i cant seem to hold it in place, it just drops to one side.

Its anoying because i can't figure out what corrective action to take, and when i was learning before i could kite for a while.

I suppose the best thing to do is to keep practicing my ground handling and suppliment it with a bit of training as and when...

are there any good ppg schools in the runcorn area ? i found a quiet corner of a field to pratice in then half the town turned up for a foot ball match...

Cheers, Zac

http://para2000.org/wings/advance/omega4.html

DHV 2-3/DHV 3

Therein lies your challenge.

Comp wings require deft input especially in the air (loaded).

Manual (page 24+)

http://www.advance.ch/fileadmin/user_up ... manual.pdf

Bang it to death learning to kite it well, but as you say don't ever fly it.

Please. It's no learner flying wing and my we've come a long way since it was sewn.

Not to mention line lengths (which may be part of the trouble - see chart in pdf).

This wing is the hard knock way of re-learning to kite, but if you master it, you will think a new wing feels kind of boring to kite but much more reassuring in manners. You will become a ripstop harp musician so to speak in order to manage it.

I was given an old Perche dhv2

http://para2000.org/wings/perche/sensor.html

and it folds and touches tips and falls over sideways like it's weighted. Overly sensitive they are and by today's standard poorly designed. What did they know in 1994/1998 after all compared to today...

Great ground rag tho.

Hi Zac,

I had a 5 year 'break' after my training and first solo then found I had to get more training over here in France. You need a ULM (microlight) license over here.

I'm very glad I did because I learnt a shed load more and became a better pilot for it.

Best of luck with your training,

Alan

Thanks for the info guys.

Your right about the wing, i went back to AXB for another days training and he said its a competition wing, not to fly it but if i learn to ground handle it then i will be able to ground handle anything.

I spent a full day with it, and managed to kite and control it quite well, the winds were more consistant than last time, it does take a lot of effort / input to get the tips to inflate fully.

Zac