British Airways Grant for Parajet.

Parajet International plans to make the most of the British Airways UK Opportunity Grant

Car maker expects global sales to fly, having been announced as one of the winners of the British Airways UK Opportunity Grant.

Parajet SkyCar - Parajet International plans to make the most of the British Airways UK Opportunity Grant

Up, up and away: Parajet has big plans for its SkyCars this year

Parajet-Skycar_1568242c.jpg

Parajet International, based in Mere, Wiltshire, is aiming to become a major aircraft engine manufacturer from the new Rotron engine that it has produced for light and ultra-light flight.

The firm, which also sells Rotron-engined paramotors and is developing paragliding "SkyCars" built around a lightweight spaceframe, has set clear goals for the advancement of its product lines in 2010.

With Rotron, the intention is to increase brand awareness among major light aircraft providers. Specifically, the firm wants to extend its dealings with Ministry of Defence contracts in the UK and globally and increase sales from £200,000 to £1.2m.

Parajet also has two key contracts in Asia for its paramotor and has identified North America as the fastest growing market.

In 2009, the company turned over £112,000 in the US - about 10pc of its total turnover - without any direct US campaigns - and the firm's research indicates that it has the potential to achieve sales of around £700,000 to £1m in the US.

Parajet, which says it has the funding in place to finish manufacturing the world's "first road-legal usable flying car" has also set targets for this project in 2010.

By the end of this year, it aims to have sold all of the first 100 production places, having so far attracted sales orders for 22 vehicles at prices ranging from £125,000 for the first prototype to £50,000 for the final production-line vehicle. Even though there has been no sales drive so far, 90pc of the orders are from overseas buyers.

Head of sales and marketing, Jim Edmondson, says the British Airways award will help Parajet develop distributor networks, improve global awareness and positioning, allow staff to attend industry exhibitions and conferences and develop better supplier relations: "The British Airways grant offers the ability to use resources more effectively when travelling to key markets," he says.

"This will allow Parajet to spend more time researching, developing and understanding key markets globally.

"The aviation industry exhibitions and conferences in Asia and North America are extremely costly for Parajet to attend but the events we have been able to get to in the past have led to the two major contracts in Asia and it is our belief that we could replicate this in North America."

Mr Edmondson adds that it's much easier and more effective to explain and talk through complex products with prospective customers, suppliers or distributors face-to-face than via emails or by using telephones or video-conferencing facilities.

"Any aviation product has to meet certain safety and reliability features," he says.

"Face-to-face meetings allow these features to be assessed correctly but also give the client an added sense of commitment and reliability from the company as a whole."

SW :D

Many of the early orders are out (in the main the USA)

Us Brits were slow to put orders in.

I have a couple of students now who are gagging to get hold of there Cyclone...

Word is, mid March for next main delivery.

SW :D

I took delivery of a Cyclone 294 in January and have been very impressed thus far. The unit's at the heavier end of the market but the build quality and power are exceptional making it a pleasure to fly. There a good, comprehensive review on www.footflyer.com that goes much further. I'd be happy to answer any questions about my experiences with it. I have no affiliation with Parajet by the way.

I took delivery of a Cyclone 294 in January and have been very impressed thus far. The unit's at the heavier end of the market but the build quality and power are exceptional making it a pleasure to fly. There a good, comprehensive review on http://www.footflyer.com that goes much further. I'd be happy to answer any questions about my experiences with it. I have no affiliation with Parajet by the way.

whats fuel consumption like?