what van

gazza_c

Having had all those vans in the past both new and secondhand I'll never buy another van again unless it has a VW badge on it. Mercs are good but damned expensive when they go wrong, VW rarely go wrong.

In saying that, if you want a smaller van, Toyota are bloody good too!

I've had an old Volkswagen Transporter for 12 months, its a 99, I've put 15k on it and it hasn't missed a beat.

It's for sale too :D but it doubles as a wheelchair bus with a big ramp and a winch!

cheers for that matey! I looked at the transporter and thought they hold there money well,goes to show if they prove to be that reliable its worth paying the cash,will look into that model,i dont think yours would come in handy with me being a sparky pulling up on site using a winch and a ramp!! :lol:

Hi all,

I have always owned mercedes sprinter vans, and although expensive to buy, service, and repair have always been 100% reliable till this last one!!!!!

Sprintshift gearbox needing total rebuild (£2500) and a complete new wiring harness( £4500 fitted) not so sure now????

All my other sprinters apart from servicing never went wrong, so it was about time i had a friday afternoon one sooner or later!!!

Good luck with what ever you choose

Simon P

ouch! as you say it has to happen sometime! badluck though mate,as mercs go i still really like the vitos for the size etc. It wont be a new one mind you but will try and get the best for the money,seen a few on auto trader 3-4 yr old,what sort of mileage is bad? eg my mate has an 98 sprinter with 235,000 on it :lol: Is 90-100,000 nothing to worry about then on these vitos? cheers gaz

We bought a new Vito 112 for work with all the bells and whistles. Earlier this year the engine siezed on the way back from France, at only 70,000 miles!! A new one fitted cost us £6500. As well as that we have problems with the selector in the gearbox, crank sensor on the flywheel (new flywheel), air suspension compressor replaced 3 times, flywheel "fell off" destroying the clutch, (on top of a mountain in Italy, not nice), UJ's need replacing, drumming rear axle, and a whole list of rattles and squeeks. All this despite regular servicing.

Next year hopefully we will be getting a new van. A VW Transporter............can't wait.

Chris

BLOODY HELL!! abit of bad luck with that one then,on the other hand i like the 2002 passat 1.9 130bhp 5dr estate,could be a good option,seem to have enough rm with seats folded down and i still could use it as a car too, not forgetting transporting the paramotor gear about! not bad for about £4500?

Gaz how come you did not have the Ford Transit on your list ?

I have spent my entire working life in one, well one every three years and have had diesel, turbo diesel and LPG versions and the only problems have been a duff coil pack and burst radiator. The problem with a Merc Sprinter is the points on your license, they are just too damn fast ;)

Dan,

I would have thought that the Transit would not have made for an effective get away car mate, interesting that you choose to use one. Ahhh, its easy to hide though! becasue there are LOADS of them....Ahhhh now I see.

SW :D

Gaz how come you did not have the Ford Transit on your list ?

I have spent my entire working life in one, well one every three years and have had diesel, turbo diesel and LPG versions and the only problems have been a duff coil pack and burst radiator. The problem with a Merc Sprinter is the points on your license, they are just too damn fast ;)

Dont like fords!! I like the mercs speed aswel! also i would like 6 speed. Im gonna have a think about it and decide in the new year after i spoke to the bank! cheers gaz