Memory Map for iPhone coming soon

norman

• 3 months later...

Downloaded this and rate it with 4*. Annoyed to pay £20 when I already had the licence and maps for my computer. However, once I had got over that, I was really happy to find that it allowed me to upload all my old 2005 OS mapping up from the computer to iphone and that it was really easy to do. There have been problems with the new PC version only allowing the most recent mapping to work - no such dramas with the iphone app. All my CAA maps upload too with no problems. All in all very useful, though still annoying to shell out to use something I already paid for on a different machine.

Hopefully they will develop a mac app as well sometime soon. You can still use the mac to upload the mapping by wifi but there is no program to let you view the maps on a mac. I would have thought that they would develop it soon. Not such a drama now I can see them on my iphone - my PC is dead and will not be resurrected.

Thanks to this post I have loaded Memory Map free edition onto the iphone and bought the CAA Southern 1:250,000. Works really well and am dead impressed.

You can go to a pre-marked point.

To mark a point on the map you press the button marked with a red flag and + symbol.

You can go to that point by pushing the blue arrow, then the button with the folder and red flag on it. You then select the marked point and hit the view mark button.........Simples!

Can't wait to try it in the air.

Ian.

Thanks to this post I have loaded Memory Map free edition onto the iphone and bought the CAA Southern 1:250,000. Works really well and am dead impressed.

You can go to a pre-marked point.

To mark a point on the map you press the button marked with a red flag and + symbol.

You can go to that point by pushing the blue arrow, then the button with the folder and red flag on it. You then select the marked point and hit the view mark button.........Simples!

Can't wait to try it in the air.

Ian.

but i dont think you can use that point as a "goto" mark...ie..plot a mark and then follow the arrow for directions?

but i dont think you can use that point as a "goto" mark...ie..plot a mark and then follow the arrow for directions?

I now understand what you are trying to achieve and certainly on my free version of the app I don't think this is available. The only work around to get your bearings in relation to the lost takeoff field would be to find the takeoff point on the map and then zoom out until you find the cursor showing where you are.

I plan to use this app in conjunction with my non CAA map equipped Garmin for belt and braces and airspace verification (and gadget freakery) so not a problem!

Ian.

I flew with this the other day and it was ace. Only problem was that as I moved about the screen kept changing from landscape to portrait. It even changed to upside down as my reserve container settled into the right place on my lap. Next time I will turn off that function on the iPhone settings menu... Not sure how good it will be trying to use the iPhone screen on a sunny day though but it worked a treat when it was overcast.