PC Problems.

All,

If it sems as though I am a little quiet, it's becasue the memory in my Laptop keeps dumping, and giving me the blue screen of death.

So, I wiped the drive, (after backing up what it would let me of course ;-)

Installed Windows 7 and office 2007, and its still happening. :-(

I think I need to get some new memory to stay online for more than about 2 mins, so hope to find some in Swindon somewhere today.

My next laptop is deffo a MAC!

Although, I do like windows 7.

SW :D

Simon - sorry to hear that you are experiencing some intermittent problems with your laptop.

Memory problems are always a pain to pin down, but have you checked out the following:

Microsoft: Windows Memory Diagnostic ?

If you are confident it is a RAM issue, I would recommend that you also check out the following website:

Crucial UK: System Scanner Tool

This will not only help identify exactly what memory you need, but also give you an idea of a competitive price before you travel into Swindon.

Personally I always buy my RAM through them, as their prices are always really competitive, shipping is really fast and no quibble guarantee. [No I don't work for them]. Others may make alternate supplier suggestions.

Anyway good luck, and I hope that you are soon able to resume your usual invaluable forum contribution :D

Andy

All,

If it sems as though I am a little quiet, it's becasue the memory in my Laptop keeps dumping, and giving me the blue screen of death.

I think I need to get some new memory to stay online for more than about 2 mins, so hope to find some in Swindon somewhere today.

Always a bummer when your laptop keeps taking a dump, have you tried turning it off then on again LOL

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

All,

Always a bummer when your laptop keeps taking a dump, have you tried turning it off then on again LOL

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Do you work for DELL?

OK, so...

I have made no changes since my last blue screen of death, All I have on my PC at the moment is Windows 7, Office Small Business 07, Norton 2010, and Skype. (which is the same as when I posted my message about the blue screen of death.)

I have not had a blue screen since, it's fixed it's self, as fasts as it broke it's self. LOL

I have since found out during some searching around the new windows package, that I can use an SD card in my laptop and dedicate it to RAM!!

I did not know that you could do that, my laptop now has 7GB of ram!!

I do have to say, I am liking Windows 7 alot!

I normally advise people not to take a mac laptop as the price is high and the component quality is cheap. This is changing though on both counts and they are more competitive now.

(I use a mac, but only because I had my work buy it - if I had to buy it myself it would have been windows).

I would strongly avoid SD chips as RAM.

They are slow, usually very slow. The whole idea of RAM is to provide a fast storage space for allowing the OS to work speedily. SD chips will actually slow the system down. This is unless somebody know something that I don't about how win7 is utilising the chip, but I can't see how. The access speeds prohibit any useful function in this area.

To be honest I dont know about how it does it...

Its just a 'performance enhancing' try this, thingy from Win 7.

It is slick now but I dont know how much of that is just the new windows, it is faster though for sure.