Woe is me:( Training wing anyone?

poz

Hi

My sole focus of the past 6 months has been Paramotoring and getting trained.

I chose a 2 week course at Skyschool in Spain starting tomorrow 20th Sept and I have to say that I haven't looked forward to anything as much as this since losing my cherry :wink:

However, following an injury to my back a few weeks ago, I really thought that the course was in jeopardy, but I had hope, I worked really hard and did all the right things to get it right and I've managed it. The course was back on track. Literally around 3 days ago I got the go ahead from my doc :D

Having packed my suitcase and organised my course insurance yesterday, I just nipped out to collect my daughter from school on my scooter and somehow, parking up, I managed to trap my foot between the curb and the bike....breaking my big toe (30 years riding bikes, not one incident) :evil:

Anyway, the bottom line, is that I am down, but definitely not out. The dream lives on.

The reason for my post in this particular section is that I probably won't be able to do the course now until next year, but do not want to waste the winter. And, as I keep hearing 'ground handling, ground handling, ground handling...you can never practice enough', I thought I might get myself a second hand training wing, or even an a small old paraglider. The problem with the old gliders on ebay, is that I suspect that some may be so old that they could be difficult to launch over head.

Does anyone have an old training wing that they no longer use and wish to sell cheaply? I may be wrong, but I imagine these training wings would pass from beginner to new beginners and have little use once you have bought your full size wing and have built up a few hours.

From a safety point of view, as I intend to do this alone, a training wing would be more preferable than a full size glider.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dan

Dan sorry to hear about your big toe :(

Get yourself a full size wing and start the GH in calm conditions, you can always build up to more challenging conditions as the skill level progresses.

If you get an older wing that is harder to launch and master it then when you get a modern reflex it will be the proverbial piece of cake.

Cheers,

Alan

Dan,

Guted !!! That's really shit luck :-( I broke my little toe about 4 months ago (stubbed the bannister!) and it hurt like hell!

I fly out to skyschool tommorow for my second week's training and would have been good to meet you, keep the dream though toe's heal :)

As for the wing... definatly go full size I got mine from ebay and it's fine.

Tom :acro:

Dan

Bummer mate. Sorry to hear. I do have an old Gradient Onyx, the "blue slug", as Dragonphotographic Mark once called it. It's a pig to ground handle, which carries some merit but it is quite large. £70 if you want it.

Get a proper flying harness to keep your arse safe. It wont cost you much money and they always seem to sell on when you've done with them. I have a spare one of those too. Maybe £120. Set of groin cutting straps would cost you £45. I've some of those too ! Got little use from them. Hurt too much and bruised my bum !

Good luck

Dave

Dan,

Guted !!! That's really shit luck :-( I broke my little toe about 4 months ago (stubbed the bannister!) and it hurt like hell!

I fly out to skyschool tommorow for my second week's training and would have been good to meet you, keep the dream though toe's heal :)

As for the wing... definatly go full size I got mine from ebay and it's fine.

Hi Tom

I hate to admit it mate, but I'm totally envious that you're getting to go and I'm stuck at home .......... with the in-laws (wife wanted some company whilst I was away. Seemed like a good idea at the time :cry: ).

I don't quite know why, but I'm sat here pissing myself laughing at my own misfortune. I think it's a case of laugh or cry!

Anyway, quick question. Did you get a motor yet, or have you just been practicing GH in between your courses? If so did you also get some sort of harness?

Have a great time on the course and do some circuits for me.

Cheers

Dan

Dan

Bummer mate. Sorry to hear. I do have an old Gradient Onyx, the "blue slug", as Dragonphotographic Mark once called it. It's a pig to ground handle, which carries some merit but it is quite large. £70 if you want it.

Get a proper flying harness to keep your arse safe. It wont cost you much money and they always seem to sell on when you've done with them. I have a spare one of those too. Maybe £120. Set of groin cutting straps would cost you £45. I've some of those too ! Got little use from them. Hurt too much and bruised my bum !

Good luck

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for the offer, that's around the price I was looking to pay....except I'm 81kg and I think I need to go smaller rather than larger for GH practice.

Ta anyway

Cheers

Dan

Dan,

Don't get too down !! :( you will get their it's just delayed a bit.

I don't have a motor yet but have some thing in the pipeline, I started GH when I got back from my first week in Spain with a borrowed swing arcus and a free flying harness. The wing was great for GH but the harness was too tight and squashed my nuts every time I put it on!!! no pain no gain :twisted:

So i'm still using the harness now but have given the wing back as I got a second hand Revo from ebay.