What machine would you buy?

Ive been saving my pennies for a while and have decided to splash out on a new or good used machine. Ive seen most in action and flown a few also. Decision is what one though? Was at the nats and hadnt considered one before but was well impressed with the miniplane . A simple no nonsense design but effective and hugely popular. Always lusted after a pap but im torn now. Im a shortarse at 5.6 (12 stone)and although i have flown a 1400 diameter machine, feel better with a 1250 or there abouts. Was going for a pap ros 125 or 100 vitto which should still give me plenty of grunt with the smaller prop. Reckon about 4k ish should do the deal new but should i wait for a good second hander? Your thoughts on this please and any other recomendations. Nick

Hi Nick,

I have flown most motors out there. I agree with you on either the Miniplane or PAP.

I fly a PAP ROS 125 and it is the most comfortable of all I have flown. I weigh 85kg and it has easily enough power. Another option is the TOP 80 with a 1400 prop - again has easily enough to get you up.

I flew a miniplane over in portugal last week with Paul Mahoney - top 80 engine 1400 prop, simple, reliable and easily enough power for me.

Another option is H & E R120 - VERY similar to ROS 125 or if you have more to spend a Bailey.

4k will get you a SWEET motor - just be careful who you buy from!

In my opinion steer clear of the rest!

I think I'm just going to have to post a picture of you Luke. That smile said it all. Mind you, I guess it could've been more to do with your wing than my motor. I liked your wing too

Dave

Fair comment Dave. Flat top is obviously very well made and surprisingly light given its size. It has a lot of torque steer that I guess you get used to managing. It is VERY powerful !

Been flying much - gonna be down weekend after next. Will bring my kit if it looks flyable

:)

I also have the Custom Air, I'm 5'7" and 12.5 stone so very similar to you and I have no problems with handling it in the air or on the ground, seems to fit me very well and is nice and comfortable. Plenty of power but has been set up to give minimal torque steer. Mark Dann from Beyond Extreme did a lot of the development and testing, so it is set up to weight shift nicely and thermal well if required.

Only problem is that it would be hard to get a second hand one as I can't see anyone that has one wanting to sell it!!

Dan

the more i read this forum tonight the more it reads like an advert for custom air!

ive never read so many "big ups" it must be a conspiricy!!

You aint seen me.......right.

Were not even on the payroll, just happy customairs

Dan

5 grand might seem strong for a brand new machine but most are over 4 grand. The time to look at the cost is not when it's new though. The time to cost it is at 200 hours run time. A good motor will only need a set of prop hub bearings and a drive belt (60- 70 quid) Some can be bought for less but cost alot more. 4 gearboxes @ £250 , 6 props @ £150, 2 engine rebuilds @ £350, welding cracked frames £100 here and there, new exhausts @ £100 to £450. So you can see how a £4250 purchase can soon become £7000 or so after a couple of years use. Interestingly, we worked out the wearing cost of a gearbox to match the cost of fuel used in some cases. Make sure you use the right grease and keep the seals good. Look after your money !

fly 200 cors air engine or simonini. i personally would avoid small cc engines due to the amount of work they have to do, the higher they rev the quicker they ware out, or so that is my thinkin lol

So then, with all the potential cost ahead after a good few hours (apart from new props and frame repairs /renewal) there must be some engines that are more robust than others. What are the best, in your opinion?

Question to freddieboyfly. Why do you set the prop / frame repairs in brackets ? Have you already decided to buy a unit that isn't likely to trash it's prop or cage or have you accepted that you might break a few and allowed for such in your budget ?

Hello farmer Dave . The reason i put frame/prop in brackets is because yes, in my early experience i have trashed both and isnt something that i would expect to 'wear' any differently on two different machines but saying that i have tig welded a coulple of ally cages where the welds have given way probably through vibration.

Still havent decided yet what to buy. Had some good impartial advice , but still going to rush as i have a motor at the moment (F3). A lot of people favouring the pap. Also got some info about the new paramotor with the G6 engine. I was told the miniplane was very good but not for power launches as the frame can flex back against the prop. Is this true? Enqired about the 100cc vito engine in the pap . Does anyone know someone whos got one , and if they have, what do they think of it.?

Few people can believe there's a machine that doesn't break cages and props caused by minor falls and sitting down too early but I've found a couple that certainly do "wear" differently to the rest. When someone breaks a prop on one, through anything other than a total write off, I'll let you know.

Re. welds cracking. I'm no expert but apparently the way they get over that is by baking the frame in an oven to temper it after construction. Hope this might be of some help.

Dave

Impartial advice is not always better advice. Difficult to get it with my brand cos there's only 2 in the country. The other one went to a guy who was just about to throw in the towel because he smashed 5 props in 8 flights. He's 65 years and gets off the ground easier these days. He's had a good go at bending it too. Success or not, he smiles every time. And no he hasn't. I guess you wont want his phone number but if you want to hear it from him, do let me know.

Dave