2nd flight on ReAction TST

alan_k

Being after sunset and screwing up the attempted nil wind launch last night by pulling too much brake on TO (thinking I was still flying the old wing), I had a perfect take off this morning at 8.30.

The flight was extremely enjoyable and I had connected the speed bar this time, more of this later. I don't know what it is but I just feel more confortable under this wing, not that I ever felt worried or anything flying the old one. Weight shifting seems more effective even with fast trim and full(ish) speed bar, and the TSTs are brilliant.

I have read that some pilots are now using the TSTs to dampen any movement in rough air when on speedbar rather than release the bar and use the brakes. I pulled on both toggles a little when I had a little thermic movement but couldn't really tell the reaction as it wasn't that rough.

The best bit came when I was descending to land and caught something in my peripheral vision, looked to my right and there just 25 feet away was a buzzard checking me out, fantastic. He soon lost interest though and flew off.

Pretty much all the flight was on fast trim and full(ish) speedbar and I used 5.5 litres for a 1 hour 5 min flight which is more than I have ever used before. I can see why though having the speed bar on. This brings me to my small problem. I haven't got enough leg movement, or leg length to bring on full speed bar. Does anyone else have this problem and did you find a way round it :?:

Cheers all,

Alan

Hi Alan

The answer to your speed bar lack of travel is to get a laddered or double rung speed bar. The Reaction has particularly long speed bar travel.

Best not to use the TST to counter turbulent air. Just let the reflex section do its thing. There's no need to fly actively with a reflex wing.

Enjoy!

Thanks, I certainly am enjoying it.

I have a double rung speedbar already and still can't make full travel :oops:

The top rung is right under the seat normally, but if the ReAction travel is particularly long I'll just live with it.

I'll have to fly with stilts on :?:roll:

I was just trying the TST idea, I do prefer to fly hands off and enjoy the view.

Cheers,

Alan

Hi Alan,

I too have the same issue, being a little short of leg.

But I think I may have solved the problem (not tested yet... poorly prop, cage, wing and all that :( )

Bit hard to explain so bear with me...

when using the speed bar I found myself being pushed further back into the seat, and hard against the frame. Effectivly pushing the whole seat forward, and taking up a lot of slack that a larger sized bum would normaly accomodate.

On looking behind one of the many zips, I`ve found an internal strap that links the rear of the harness to the seat board. and lo and behold its adjustable.

So the theory is.. If i take out 4 inches of slack behind the speed bar pulley (high hang point middle of the seat), I will gain it in front and theroreticly get at least the extra 2 inches of travel needed for full speed ahead. :D

All without the need to wear platform boots, booster socks, or a huge arse implant.

Simples

So I`ve just got to try it now

Colin B (2)

• 5 months later...

:acro:

hi ok i have a reaction tst and the speed bar lines have a long travel. longer then most glider speed bar lines .

i have not flown my wing yet but i have staticaly set the travel of the lines in my hangar(garage) my findings were when the speed bar was applied the brummel hooks would hit the first pulley on my harness the only way out of this was to move the pulleys further down the harness and a bit forward then also attach another pulley to the front of the harness as well to make the travel smooth

my harness is a supair for a pap paramotor there was a mod for it in one of the mags out there which was fastening a pulley on a loop of line but i chose to check out the harness pulley positions mark out the harness where i want them sewn and send the harness away to aerofix who did a fanstic job in positioning the pulleys , i can get full travel now with out pulley and brummel hook fouling :lol:

I have read that some pilots are now using the TSTs to dampen any movement in rough air when on speedbar rather than release the bar and use the brakes. I pulled on both toggles a little when I had a little thermic movement but couldn't really tell the reaction as it wasn't that rough.

I have flown over 300hrs on Reaction now and find no need to use the TST to dampen movement in rough air with speed bar. I am sure everbody has a different interpretation as to what rough air is but if it really was rough I do not think your average pilot would be flying with speed bar on.

The Reaction wing is one of the most stable around and has never given me any serious concerns in my experience. It has remained flying without anything more than a slight tip collapse when I was going weightless due to rough air.

I recently went on an SIV course with Jocky Sanderson to Olu Deniz but used a 'normal' paragliding wing (Gradient Golden). It makes you realise just how stable the Reaction is. However, a tradional paragliding wing can recover very easily with the correct inputs and sometimes without. I am not sure how Reaction/Revolution/Synthesis etc would behave when things got seriously out of hand. Just a thought. :roll::dive:

John Coutts, Shetland.