Worth a look

Except it says that a local site to me is flyabale!!

Its tipping down and blowing up to 25mph at the moment.

Great idea, but I would be not chuft if I had driven any distance to find it has been raining for the last 3 hours (and not flyable all day).

SW :D

The principle of that isn't a bad idea...

I was using google earth the other day and thinking it would be a good idea to collate all the legally flyable fields into placemarks...

SO for example...

Let's say Farmer Smith lets you use his field...and he's not opposed to others using it too (any limits etc, he'd obviously tell you).

You add this to the map-set (an XML file that we have stored on a website somewhere) that you can add into google earth...and then if someone else wanted to fly near you (let's say they are visiting friends or just in the area or wanted to fly cross-country from one site to another) then they would know that it is legal and a paramotor friendly place.

I think this could work really well...

It's too stupid to try and have "flyable" ratings or weather ratings (Google has it's own Weather Overlay) but to know where Paramotor Airfields (i know they are not Airfields in the Planning Permission stakes) are would be useful.

What do you guys reckon??

What do you guys reckon??

Damn good idea.

The only thing you might have to deal with is an understandable reluctance to 'give up' your hard won site to someone you don't know, and who could conceivably bu**er things up for you with the land owner by taking the p**s.

I agree, thats a fair comment.

I am never happy to let people fly from the Lambourn site unless I have met them first (not so much just to qualify them but also to give the local brief (LFO's) )

Maybe it could be like a "club members only" thing. -

I mean obviously whoever has negotiated the use of the field with the farmer would be...err...Field Warden or Guardian or something, who would have to maintain that relationship and it's obviously a trust thing. I mean, if I were to want to use your field, I would have to trust you not to abuse my field.

We'd police it ourselves...anybody found abusing the generosity of the landowner would be asked not to come back and it need not be an "open door" policy...it could be along the lines of: "This is the field here on the map, please call ahead to give notice of your intent to use the field."

Depends on how strict the landowner is as well. I know some people have their own fields and would quite happily let us fly in unannounced.

But it would collate all the safe landing sites into one addressbook of sorts and let people plan some good sized cross-country flights.

The more I think about it, the more I think it could be a paid-up-club-member (i'm not one yet) benefit.

That way it doesn't just get posted on t'interweb for every Joe-Public to abuse.

It might also encourage people to pay-up to join...If it gives access to X number of sites to fly in all over the country.

I know a lot of hang gliding/paragliding clubs have that policy...use our sites if you are a member only.

Well we put all our sites (personal/club sites) into the mix and say ....use these if you are paid up.

Hell...I might even pay myself! :D

And obviously the site owner has to be completely happy with that...

There may be local site notes needed...like..."Only at weekends" or "Do not fly over the farmhouse" or "Beware of rotor from the trees at the south end of the field"... I know there's a field in Guildford where the guy asks for £8 to use his field (including camping)....so notes on any costs etc.

It would be the Site Guardian/Warden's (someone help me pick a good name here) responsibility to make sure the notes were all clear.

And then we just have someone who updates the main XML file and hosts it for download. You import the overlay into Google Earth and bingo...there's your map.

Wow...I've obviously had way too much sugar in my tea today. :lol:

How about a UK & Ireland map that has the clubs marked on, with clickable dots tha take you to a page with all of that info?

I can arrange this for the site I am sure!

It would require updted info to be sent in by a site 'rep' who llows contct details to be displayed on the site.