Rad Starting problems

cageuk

I've change the starting position on my Rad Arrow and ever since I've not been able to get it started. I'm pretty sure that it is just coincidence and I suspect a carb problem. It could even be flooding as when I took the sparkplug out yesterday it looked a little wet but it wasn't even firing then!

Tonight when I'm turning it over it sounds like it wants to go (it fires as I'm turning it) but quickly dies. A key clue is that the fuel runs back down the pipe within a few minutes and it didn't do that before.

I've fiddled with it and hit it with a hammer a few times but even that didn't work!

Any ideas?

Cheers

Mark

Sorry Mark, if you've given it your best shot with a hammer then I don't know what else to suggest!!! (usually works on my landrover)

Ian.

Yep and taking bits off and putting them back on again normally does something.

Update. I left it a while and managed to get it started. Rough as ol' boots and smoking like a 16yr old. It ran while I throttled it but spluttered to a halt after a few seconds once on idle.

I couldn't do too much more as it was getting late and the neighbours have their windows open.

Cheers

Mark

If it started and was smoking and running rough it was due to being flooded and burning the excess fuel/oil; the had built up in the bottom of the engine.

Take the plug out hold it full throttle and pull it over as many times as you can( even better is to turn it upside down so the ecess fuel can run out when you are pulling it)

Put the plug back in and try starting it with no choke and about quarter throttle, if it starts run it at high revs till it clears it self and runs smooth.

If it does not start and the plug is still dry give it a bit of choke.

If none of the above works

Check the diaphragm

(the one we took out and replaced at oxford).

Pete

ps if it still wil not start let me know.

OH, I think I know what that might be then. I thought I'd been too heavy handed with the golf tee again so I took off the cover and bent the thingy up a bit. Maybe I've done it too much. I must get one of the 'W' adjuster things.

But that was after it stopped starting (if that makes sense).

See, I've got the technical jargon off pat now (hope pat doesn't mind!).

Cheers

Mark

OH, I think I know what that might be then. I thought I'd been too heavy handed with the golf tee again so I took off the cover and bent the thingy up a bit. Maybe I've done it too much. I must get one of the 'W' adjuster things.

But that was after it stopped starting (if that makes sense).

See, I've got the technical jargon off pat now (hope pat doesn't mind!).

Cheers

Mark

Get a pop rivet and take the pin out then put the rivet from the inside out through the diaphrame plate(where you put the golf t in to)

Rowenta do the W adjuster thing ( I have one if you just want to borrow rather than buy).

Pete b

Get a pop rivet and take the pin out then put the rivet from the inside out through the diaphrame plate(where you put the golf t in to)

Rowenta do the W adjuster thing ( I have one if you just want to borrow rather than buy).

Pete b

Now that sounds like a good idea!

:)