Helmet Advice please

asquaddie

Any advice would be gratefully welcome here on Helmets / Radio. I guess it has been brought up before, but Microavionics have brought out the integrated one now.

I’m primarily looking at the MA helmet and headset, but also looking at the integrated type.

Is there a cheaper headset/helmet with the same quality for the price out there?

Is there a bigger different with the ‘Active Noise Reduction’ and is the cost worth it?

Has any body seen / used the integrated type one (UL-100 or UL-200)?

At the moment I have a couple of cheap PMR radios, which I have no plans to change yet.

Cheers in advanced guys?

Tony

I fitted an after market ANR system from Headsets Incorporated, in the USA into my inexpensive GA headset that I modified to fit in my Icaro 2000. My opinion, for what it's worth is that it's a major contribution to less tiring flight and therefore to safety, with the noise of both prop and engine cut down enormously.

Some folks seem to see this as a problem because they think you won't hear errant engine noises, my experience has been that that is simply not true, as you can still detect 'changes' in noise.

Others argue that ANR doesn't work with the frequencies common in paramotoring. My question to those would be 'have you tried it?'.

Anyone who wants to hear mine functioning is more than welcome if they visit, and if your head will fit an XL helmet, then you are welcome to try a flight. It's an easy comparison, because you can switch the system on and off as you fly.

I hve a set of ANR shooting ear defenders that when you turn on, you can hear people whisper but as soon as you start the motor, it cuts 90% of the noise out.

What's good about this is when you turn off the motor for a nice silent glide you can hear the wind noise through the lines. (which I like)

No radio built in.

SW :D

The 'Helmets Inc' conversion is straightforward if you can do a bit of soldering. Kit costs about £100 plus postage and duty if you get clobered, but that would only be another twenty quid or so.

Another thing I'd forgotten to mention is that ANR tends to make received radio comms easier to hear, in part because you can keep volume settings low and avoid distortion. I haven't experienced any problems with the ANR segment picking up any ignition or other electrical noise.

My hearings been abused enough in the past, what with shooting, wailers and concert speakers, for me to want to give the old lugs a bit of a break these days.

My hearings been abused enough in the past, what with shooting, wailers and concert speakers, for me to want to give the old lugs a bit of a break these days.

I know the feeling Phil, since I've been blown up three times now - so my hearing (high tone) is not great either. :)

So protecting them in the last few years is quite important.

Anyone tried or seen the Microavionics Integrated Helmet (UL-100 or UL-200) yet?

Tony,

To be fair, LAODS has happened since that message. We used the ULM stuff on the Skycar, (but not inside the helmet) and it was very clear (when not soaking wet)

I am still a dealer for MA stuff, so do let me know which way you want to go.

SW :D

i use the lynx headset and no problems with noice what so ever. i also bought a throat mic but there wasnt any difference in the normal mic and the throat one so i just use the head set.

i wouldnt waste my time with the pmr there ok for kids but not for this game

i have the Gentex SPH5 which is a genuine pilots helmet, i bought it from the US and then took it to micro avionics for a mod to use with alinco radio.

its absolutely crystal clear clarity even on full chat, but equally as importantly the ground crewe can hear me just as clear - again on full power.

some say the helmets are not absorbant enough for our sport, but i love it, and a couple of friends have them too and swear by them

its like this

gentex_sph_5.jpg