RAD MXL

Hi Guys,

I have posted a couple of times, but mostly watch. I've just finished rebuilding a RAD MXL and had two flight on it using an old Edel Atlas. Which whilst not the best wing is probably ok with the limited power of the MXL as it is very floaty. But I can see that in a few flights with any wind I will get a bit bored of hovering over the field!

Should I upgrade the RAD with a bigger cage and prop then look at a different wing or wing then new motor. Or should I stick with it to improve my take off technique. The thought of doing a forward launch in no wind fills with dread, but if I got airborne at least I could fly slowly to places.

I did ienjoy it though I wished I had done it a few years ago. I would like to thank Paul Haxby efforts in getting me airborne with his training and support.

Cheers

Pat

Hi Guys,

I have posted a couple of times, but mostly watch. I've just finished rebuilding a RAD MXL and had two flight on it using an old Edel Atlas. Which whilst not the best wing is probably ok with the limited power of the MXL as it is very floaty. But I can see that in a few flights with any wind I will get a bit bored of hovering over the field!

Should I upgrade the RAD with a bigger cage and prop then look at a different wing or wing then new motor. Or should I stick with it to improve my take off technique. The thought of doing a forward launch in no wind fills with dread, but if I got airborne at least I could fly slowly to places.

I did ienjoy it though I wished I had done it a few years ago. I would like to thank Paul Haxby efforts in getting me airborne with his training and support.

Cheers

Pat

I would try a couple of different reflex wings with your motor as it is now and see how you get on, if you can fly one even if only on slow trim then get the wing and upgrade your motor as soon as you can.

Forwards are easy you just need to be committed to them, honest.

Pete b

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pat

When Jon was running Rad Aviation he did an upgrade to the MXL with a larger cage and 1200mm composite twin blade prop which turned the MXL into the Arrow. It definately had more ooomph!

The upgrade was around £800. Not sure if Martin who runs the new company offers the same service though, might be worth a phone call.

Alternatively as already suggested try a reflex wing on slow setting until you are ready to replace your motor. Just be prepared for more work on nil wind days!

Bargains are often to be had on fleabay and lots go for about twice the above investment. Best to view before you buy if you can though!

Cheers

Mark

Hi Pat

When Jon was running Rad Aviation he did an upgrade to the MXL with a larger cage and 1200mm composite twin blade prop which turned the MXL into the Arrow. It definately had more ooomph!

The upgrade was around £800. Not sure if Martin who runs the new company offers the same service though, might be worth a phone call.

Cheers

Mark

I believe Paul Haxby now offers a similar upgrade, allowing the motor to be transplanted into a new larger cage.

This also changes the exhaust set-up so that it is mounted with the motor.

Cheers

Steve

I'm just about to start rebuilding mine after a minor mishap on Saturday caused 2 blades to break up and the (3 rd blade hit one of the cross pieces on the cage) which punctured my fuel tank, knocked off the airbox and took a chunk off the top 2 cooling fins on the Raket cyclinder head.

Thankfully all the parts are relatively cheap to buy but I'm wondering if the blades were too long for the cage. I'm sure the cage should flex a little and there was a couple of centimetres of clearance from blade tip to cage but all 3 blades were damaged and I'm suspicious that at 465mm from tip to root along the leading edge they might have been too long. 465 + 30mm for the hub mount is the uncut length from the manufacturer.

Thankfully my only injuries were a dented pride and wallet. That'll teach me to sit down too soon. :roll:

Glenn

After retrieving the induction silencer/airbox I've noticed there was no filter in it. Weird but maybe that's how they are supplied although an unfiltered engine is not the best thing. Does yours have a filter. I suspect they all should.

Blades turned up today. Well the wrong blades turned up today I should say. Beatsons sent AR short blades for the Breezemax totally wrong should have been RA+. The bloke who sent 'em held his hand up and is sending a proper set tomorrow.

Waiting for Radne carb parts and the rest of the netting to arrive and the rebuild begins.

I found and Jon kind of admitted that MXL blades break very easily.

On my very second launch I had a mishap similar to your's and also punctured the fuel tank! In light of Pete's recent accident this is quite worrying. My fuel tank was the larger upgraded one. The flexible nature of these type of blades means that a sudden stop by you means they flex forward and contact anything in their path.

I also broke two blades by simply running! I must have jolted in step or something because the blades just exploded mid run with the wing above me!

Check your engine mounts to make sure the motor isn't moving too much maybe causing the blades to contact the cage. It may also be worth checking that there are no distortions in your cage.

And as far as I'm aware, the air filter is not actually an air filter but an inlet silencer. It is there to reduce the air noise entering the carb.

I'm having problems with my Arrow at the moment and I'm wondering if I have crap in the carb as my last outing got quite dusty and I couldn't then start my motor.

I'm wondering if there is any kind of filter paper I could buy to insert into the two holes as a kind of 'cartridge' to help. This may change the carb setup though and I don't know enough about this to risk it!

Good luck on the rebuild.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

Same thing 2nd flight mishap. Entirely my own fault I might add. Got the right blades in the end. Quick turnaround by Beatsons in Sheffield rendered me with 6 blades. 3 for the MXL and 3 for just in case. I just got the Radne brochure with my order for carb parts and that shows a couple of wire filters for the 2 'bungs' in the induction silencer. The brochure also shows a small cloth filter for one of their other induction silencers. Mine has neither. Might be some inspiration and a bit of fettling to provide a soultion.

I'll have to look after myself and the RAD from now on. First the rebuild, then power risers on the wing and then a repack of the reserve into my new skyline front container. The Skyline is similar to the Supair with capacity up to 160kg reserves and instrument pod but half the price from UKAirsports.

will post some pics of my rebuils when I can.