Cage and netting?

flyingdoc

Hi Guys,

there have been a lot of posts about which paramotor to buy etc and I understand by asking similar questions all I can get are a bunch of opinions but I would like some opinion from people who have flown the various rigs available.

Here is my go at a question.

How much difference does the frame/cage make?

I know Aluminium is lighter and steel easier to patch up, there just seems to be a huge difference in the design and make up of these parts and some look distinctly stronger than others. I am not only anxious about heavy landings but also fingers and hands hitting the prop. Also possible pilot protection in an arsewards bump... Also what about hanging points low/high fixed/flexible?

How big/tight should the netting be?

I have seen that the parajet has no netting but seems unlikely to let your hands come in contact with the prop. But what about brake lines and how likely is it for these to get sucked through and tangle everything up.

Also am I just getting confused by all the marketing stuff. Everyone always thinks theirs is best but if you look at the whole flat top argument going on in the states their is a lot of vicious acrimony going on there and is it just about money.

For what it is worth I am 5ft 5in wt81kg I used to fly a lot PPl paragliding microlights model airplanes. I am leaning towards the bailey four stroke but concerned that the frame may be too heavy and bigger than I need (more likely to get a ground strike) I carried a PAP recently which was a lot lighter but I must say I fancy an electric start.(Pure laziness I know).

What I want is a light compact electric start motor with a degree of weight shift control and preferably for £50. ( I know this last one isn't gonna happen......) Would the Parajet Volution Macro Titanium be the best compromise in size of frame and power output/weight? And what about the new rotary???

From my reading I am probably heading for a Paramania Revolution 24 ( Would other sizes be better???)

Sorry for the long post but it is a lot of money to blow and find you've got the wrong one.

Do any schools let you try out a whole variety of motors/wings in the air before you lay out any cash? Test drive anyone....

Looking forward to your carefully considered opinions.

Thanks

Snowman

you mite want to look at the parajet volution compact, I am almost the same size and wieght as yourself and have flown simons compact, wich although around the same wieght as some other motors because of its smaller prop and cage actualy felt lighter than others I have had on my back, it has electric start, wieght shift capability and seems to be well built, plus the spares are readily available.

would be my choice if I had the money.

Hi Snowman

I own, and fly, one of only 2 Flat-top units in the UK. I can guess what you've read by your comments. Is it viscious acrimony? I dont know, but pilot safety, power (plenty) coupled with economy and reliability were what I sought, before I bought one. It took six months to convince Bill Heaner that I was genuine and ordered 2 to make it worth his while coming over to the UK. I bought a wing and reserve from him too. I've since enjoyed 40 hours of problem free flying with it. I've examined most types and flown about 5 different types, and not found any other to equal the strength and pilot safety that the Flat_Top has designed into it.

At your weight, the baby 160 cc Simonini mini 4 model would have plenty of power and would be resillient to those learner mistakes, without wrecking the prop or cutting you to shreds. I cant think of a better unit to learn on, and, if you were strong enough, and capable of good wing handling, I would not be too worried about a demo flight on my own unit. It's a 200 (30 kg) the 160 is 27kg. I can understand peoples sceptisism but there IS a lot of "truth" in what you've read, even if it has been hyped up a bit.

It's dear to buy at the moment. 5 grand with the pound weak, but most good units are 4+ so "horses for courses". I hope you enjoy whatever you choose. I can help you with a Flat_Top or you can buy one from UKPPG in Cambridgeshire. I'm in Devon.

Good luck

Dave

Hi Snowman,

Some good questions, it's apparent that you are giving considered thought to your choice of kit.

From a convenience point of view the way the cage breaks down for transporting is worth some consideration. My choice of car, a Berlingo, was partially based on whether or not the paramotor would fit in easily.

The original cage of my Fresh Breeze did not have a big foot area so the paramotor would fit into the Berlingo in one piece when tilted over about 30 degrees. The small foot area was a pain on uneven ground though to prevent the motor falling over. This was on old 2 part design of cage and when I broke it (my fault - poor technique and judgement, better now) I opted for the newer 4 part design.

The 4 part is both stronger and more convenient as I can keep the bottom half assembled with the motor on. It now fits in the Berlingo standing upright and behind the rear seats. The extra weight of the 4 part (a few kgs) isn't noticable now my technique is good. The dry weight is 30kgs.

I have seen on another post that a compact Parajet fits in the back of a Kangoo without disassembly.

Regarding fingers and hands hitting the prop good training and common sense will prevent this. Starting the motor having checked the throttle previously for free play and minimum setting, with a good grip on the frame (manual start), is all part of preflight checks.

I can only comment on flying with high hang points, but the flexible connection with J bars of the Fresh Breeze setup does allow some weight shift steering. The high hang points also prevent any possibility of brake handles coming into contact with the prop. From an 'arsewards bump' scenario you should always try to use the provided landing gear :?

Most netting will only prevent large objects from contacting the prop so it is essential that all items carried have a safety line secured to your suit or harness.

A large cage with correspondingly large prop is also a little quieter that a smaller cage and prop, as the lager prop will be rotating more slowly.

Hope this helps a liitle, good luck with the search.

Alan

Hi snowman

I am the same hieght as you and just a bit lighter at 77kg's i am also looking at a bailey. I went to the splash show and tried on one of there new v3 models and to be honest i didnt think it was that much more than say a parajet. plus when you add fuel it comes into its own as the you need less fuel for the same air time on another motor. The bailey fits to your back like a glove "well mine anyway"

If i was you i would go to the factory and try one on for size in fact i would try all the motors you are looking at before you make your mind up. I have done just this. I am waiting for bailey bring out the v3 :lol:

good luck :lol:

Has anyone on the forum flown the new Fresh Breeze SportiX (FB's swing arm version)? It's built like a battle tank and has a Simonini engine. I would seriously consider buying one if it didn't have those gaping holes in the cage through which brake handles could be sucked into the prop.

My mates got a Sportix. Sadly, he's broken the frame already. Drinks petrol too, but a decent prop would sort that to a degree. On the plus side, it seemed light and very quiet.

In answer to Alan's post. Keeping the landing gear down is a great idea in theory but doesn't happen in practice. A drop from height is too much for most peoples legs. Good piloting can help prevent it but even the best get caught out. Even with contacting the prop (fingers or toggles) It shouldn't happen but it's best safeguarded, just incase. It's all about narrowing the odds as much as possible so that we can all keep our superb hobby free of red tape.

Dave

I wasn't happy with the large spaces in the netting on my Adventure, so I used some strong mono-filament fishing line to go diagonally across the majority of the squares, tying off at each corner, to form a much smaller triangle pattern. It is incredibly strong and now small enough to prevent a hand or toggle going through. As the line is still quite fine, I doubt it has added much to wind resistance.

I have only fitted it over the top two cage quadrants, as I thought the standard mesh would be enough to stop a foot going through the lower half.

IMG_6353.jpg