Lidl Altimeter Watch

Phil_P

Just looking and there is also this;

LIDL SKI & SNOWBOARD HELMET

08_23344_b.jpg

http://www.lidl.co.uk/uk/home.nsf/pages ... Helmet.ar2

Sturdy helmet with durable ABS outer and shock absorbing EPS inner shell

Conforms to EN1077 standards (class B) (which is apparently the same as freeflight EN966 standard)

Rotary dial adjustable head size

Air vent ventilation system

Detachable ear pads

Goggle strap retaining clip

Weight (g): 550

Sizes: M for head size (cm): 54 - 56, L for head size (cm): 57 - 59, XL for head size (cm): 60 - 61

3 year manufacturer's warranty

£12.99

I'm sure the quality is no comparison to the PlusMax sold here in the shop but might be good for those feeling 'the pinch'

Ben

Just been to my nearest Lidl and picked up a quilted overall (the last in the shop I think) that was part of the motoring promo that they had last week. It's going to make a great cooler weather flying suit, and for £15 was a major bargain. Not as flash as my thinner pilots coverall, it doesn't have as many pockets, or the transparent knee map pockets, but seems well put together, and even has a zip off hood for when you're parawaiting.

Also got a multi function battery charger (that'll do for my motor battery, and the AGM batteries in both my, and SWMBO's motorbikes), a wheel brace (for the bargain Vitara I've just bought off fleabay to access flying sites), a PMR radio complete with headset and remote PTT ( to use with the pilot I met the other day who only has PMR gear), a trolley jack (need to get under my car to replace the lambda sensor)and a couple of T shirts. :D

£60 for the whole lot !!!! :shock:

I'd be interested to hear feedback on the altimeter watch if anyone has bought one? I'm expecting it will be a cheap and nasty affair compared to the Suunto but if its robust enough and accurate it might just be ideal at that price.

I got one last year. It is just cheap!

It works. So my guess is the insides are the same.

Cheers

Paul

I bought one yesterday. Obviously not a good looking at the Sunnto, but does all the bits and bobs. Perfect for a secondary 'backup' I guess. Will probably only wear mine in flight, or maybe even velcro to flight deck. Who knows, not left the grounbd yet.

Altimeter; I have no way of testing as don't have a vario. But, i'll get a map and see my elevation and work it out later on (apparantly, I am currently 804ft...no, now 797ft) above sea level. My feeling is it will be 'fairly' accurate. You can switch between feet and meters which is nice. You can also set height above sea level, you can set it to 'relative height' (setting to zero before take off) and also 1013.2 so does all the QNx's I think. You can also back track the last 22 hours and see height gain/loss. Height displayed in large digits, and you can choose between a smaller 'history' graph and also temperature as a secondary smaller display.

Compass; This I have tested and after calibration (and a steady, horizontal hand) it seems accurate. Main display gives degrees in large digits and you get a 'pointer' around the bezel showing the four points. You can lock the compass into position and also reverse the heading. Calibration takes seconds. Two methods, twisty twisty keeping flat or by delimeter points.

Baro; Not too sure really. Yesterday the little picture said no rain - it didn't rain. Today there is a rain cloud - and it has rained...

Watch functions; standard time, date facility. Also option for second time zone. Two alarms. Countdown timer and stop watch. Backlit display.

I also got some 'gel' heat pads (break the capsule inside, chemical reaction generates heat jobby). 2 pads for 99p. They do rectangle, stars and hearts for people like pete b.

I also got the above ski/snowboard helmet...and look stupid in it - obviously. But, for the time being it will suffice for ground handling. It is rather big on my bonce, but would probably suit a real grown up. Ear flaps clip off, my comms headset fits snuggly inside with no obstruction what-so-ever.

They also had what they called a 'snowboard top' which looked like a tight fitting, wicking layer of sorts. Would be good under your flight suit maybe...or in summer instead of. Didn't get one as run out of cash and didnt have card with me. Grand total...£44 including new shower head.

Edited by Guest

Did anyone get one of these? I had a look but they didn't fit very well; felt like they were designed to fit people with a perfectly round skull. I think it is sometimes true that you get what you pay for.

Please tell me I am not alone so I can stop worrying that my head is the wrong shape!!

Got the watch thing, would be a good back up to my Garmin.............at that price you just have to get one!!

Was going to get a helmet just because of the bargain price, but my head needs the next size up!! I tried to convince myself that it fitted, but the wife said I looked a nob!!!!!

Mike

i bought one of the watches after three times readin the instructions i think i know how to use it what i cant figure is the speed? how can it calculate speed if it aint got gps? as i have read is it reading off the incline you put in to it? apart from that bit of confusion i know how everythin else works,

i bought one of the watches after three times readin the instructions i think i know how to use it what i cant figure is the speed? how can it calculate speed if it aint got gps? as i have read is it reading off the incline you put in to it? apart from that bit of confusion i know how everythin else works,

It uses the incline information that you put in and the time it takes you to descend from top of slope to the bottom (skiing) and calculates the speed. It knows when to start the timer as your descent rate increases (it assumes that you are starting the run) and stops the timer when you reach the bottom (altimeter stationary). This is a gimmick really and not very reliable I shouldnt think but everything else on it is good.

I bought a ski helmet last year and another on monday for our lads from Lidl. They use them on the slopes, quad biking and mountain boarding. They look great on them, meet all the british safety standards and are a bargin. Did I mention the deals on cheese and parma ham.......?? (You can even take your waitrose reyclable bag in if you are a raving snob) :lol::lol: