Hook Knive use

pauldeakin

I know that hook knive will easily go through lines, but will it go through risers? Has anyone tried it?

Just though it would be useful to know, because if you ever find yourself in water, being dragged by wing in the current, face down, hook knive in hand, can't release buckles, just a few seconds of breath left. Are you wasting your time trying to hack through the riser?

Paul D

I know that hook knive will easily go through lines, but will it go through risers? Has anyone tried it?

Just though it would be useful to know, because if you ever find yourself in water, being dragged by wing in the current, face down, hook knive in hand, can't release buckles, just a few seconds of breath left. Are you wasting your time trying to hack through the riser?

Paul D

I've bought some hook knives that I was going to market to the group if anyone was interested. They're not dedicated 'riser' knives, but I tested one on the very thickest toughest webbing (off a scuba dive harness) that I could find, and with a firm pull, went through it like a knife through butter. Lines will be a doddle. They come with a load of spare blades too.

I'll get a photo or two posted up if anyone is interested. They don't come in a fancy pouch or anything, but have a hole for a lanyard that I've sewn a webbing loop into, and they will only be a fiver posted within the UK.