Newbie needs advice

Hello Everyone,

I just joined your site and I'm hoping that some of the experts on here will be able to help me with a few things.  I have never used a paramotor in my life and so I will need to buy one if I'm going to be involved in this sport.  I have looked at so many sites online, all offering different things, from the best paramotors, the best triggers, wings and it got to the point where I got so confused because I had nothing to compare it to the things I was looking at?  Can anyone give me the name of a good complete paramotor sets that would have everything I would mostly need to get started?  I've looked at Black Hawk, ParaJet Kits(which did look appealing as far as esthetics are concerned) and some others, but again I don't know what to look for in a good paramotor that wouldn't be constantly breaking down or giving me problems.  Then there is the training that's needed.  I live in the Harrisburg, Pennsylvania area and would like to know if anyone knows where the better trainers are located in my area that aren't the fly by night type guys just trying to make a buck and then leave town.  I think you know the type I mean?  So if anyone can advise me about these things and what to look for I'd be very appreciative.  Thanks for your consideration and help.

• Like 1

Best to choose an instructor before thinking hard about equipment; you don't yet have any of the physical feel of the gear to inform any subsequent decisions.

Most likely the first time you put on a motor and goose the throttle, you'll think "geez, this thing's heavy" and "urg, what a violent beast", even if it's a light frame and small engine. You haven't yet calibrated the sensations. After a bit of hands-on, you'll have a better idea of your relative priorities: power, weight, build quality, comfort of different harnesses etc.

Your instructor can add their opinions to your store of lore (aka technical gossip) and that too will help you make a decision.

• Like 1