Fuel cans

pete_b

Just for info, because i found all this out when i used to race bikes ... and I have a number of microlighting friends who have run into these issues as well, particularly the one on the bottom of the post .. read on.

legally, inside a vehicle you may not carry more than either:

2 x 5L containers (plastic)

or

2 x 10L containers (metal)

basically, to be within the law, 20L jerry cans need to be carried outside the vehicle, the limit is quite large then, up to 333L counts as a "small load" .. you need to have the right stickers and a 2kg fire extinguisher if exceeding the 2x5L or 2x10L point ...

increasingly, you may find that garages refuse to fill 20L jerry cans, even though legally you may fill them and carry them in the back of your pick up truck, it is now a common additional condition when granting the licence to the station operator to impose this restriction, and 2x 5L or 2 x 10L(metal) is the usual rule they set. Just a point to bear in mind, its not the petrol station owner being arsy, he/she has just been restricted in what they can do, thats all.

Another really interesting post, thanks. I wonder where we stand with a, say, 10 litre plastic tank on a paramotor frame carried in the boot of your car? Is that counted as one of these fuel containers? If it is then being plastic it shouldn't be more than 5L! I have a 10L metal tank in my paramotor so does this mean that the only other can I can carry on board is another 10L metal can? Can I ask any more questions?

Rsz – many thanks for the info.

These problems could cause serious headaches for the T2T trip – so should be bottled out as soon as possible.

Colin – Can you please check on the current ‘legal’ regulations for this?

Legal limits for garages to sell fuel in our metal cans

Regulations for carrying fuel inside, outside and in a trailer.

Simon – I guess the two 4x4 vehicles we will hire have no outside bracket attachments.

Tony

Chill. :D

I think that we only need 1 x 20l can per pilot. so this can be split between the 4x4 & van if needed. Also if needed, we will get 2 10l cans per pilot.

Ref: Amount at the petrol station... (I know a bloke ;-) who fills up 2 20L cans and a 10L can with petrol every couple of weeks and has never been stopped doing so.)

SW :D

Chill. :D

I think that we only need 1 x 20l can per pilot. so this can be split between the 4x4 & van if needed. Also if needed, we will get 2 10l cans per pilot.

Ref: Amount at the petrol station... (I know a bloke ;-) who fills up 2 20L cans and a 10L can with petrol every couple of weeks and has never been stopped doing so.)

I know I am bad at maths, but

6 x Pilots = 6 x 20L = 6 cans / vehicles = 3 cans per vehicle = illegal

Re: filling up, might be OK at 1 garage down south, but when you start moving up north.......

Nice to start within the law and he! may break a few on the way up :lol:

All, we will have to (if time allows) have a group chat next Tueday on this fuel thingy while we are putting machinery together. As l don't think we can get all involved at short notice to turn up this weekend at Lambourn. and perhaps we can come up with some answers or alternative answers.

Its not long now, and we do need to get flying together and as Simon found out last weekend the Macro's are VERY thirsty on fuel, especially with my weight on it :D

Mike

UMMM I BEG TO DIFFER!!!

It is Not the Macro that is using your juice mate... its the Synthesis! Well known for drinking the old go go.

My logistics view (non-flyer) is to have min of 12 cans – 6 per vehicle.

My reasons are simple if the lead vehicle is off to sort out the Over Night Stop, lost or a vehicle broken down the other one can refuel all 6 Pilots and they can be on the way. Splitting the cans between two vehicles, I think can lead to major problems.

As Mike said – good topic of conversation.

Just out of interest, why the need for 4x4 vehicles? I would have thought a pickup or a large estate car more suitable, no?

I'm still trying to imagine a situation where a 4x4 would come in useful .. not likely to snow is it? ... If the pilot lands a LONG way from the road, is it likely you'll be able to get to them with a 4x4? access is usually quite hard to arrange, and in open country, well, you will probably spend the rest of the day getting the 4x4 out of the bog/stream/boulder field you got it stuck in ... surely just picking landing spots reasonably close to the road is the answer? if you fail to make the spot and end up in open country without fuel, the chances of being able to negotiate vehicular access at extremely short notice are close to zero?

shoot me down in flames, its not my project, personally, I would go for a couple of big estate cars or pick-ups, faster down the motorways, use less fuel, more comfy for kipping in, cheaper and easier to get hold of.

hmmm ... 10 ltrs, 2.5 hours flying at about 50 kmh ... (optimistic) ... about 12.5 km/ltr ...

lets call it 1500 km end to end, because you wont be going in that straight a line ....

120 litres of fuel per machine for the trip? 20 litres a day per machine? ...