Polini Flash Starter Dead?

Capotec2015

HI,

Been out giving the motor the once over and tried starting it -a job that didnt used to require much effort. Certainly never used to break a sweat!  Something doesnt feel right and it feels like I am just pulling the piston over - kind of hard to explain but I'm not getting that snap at the end of the pull where you would feel the secondary spring kick in. Its done nothing over the winter and I would expect some resistance but this seems excessive.  

I read somewhere that the flash starter wasnt a great design and to expect it to fail at some point but I wondered if there was an alternative, although it did make things very easy...

is there a way of testing to see if it is indeed broken?

thanks

Paul

34 minutes ago, Capotec2015 said:

HI,

Been out giving the motor the once over and tried starting it -a job that didnt used to require much effort. Certainly never used to break a sweat!  Something doesnt feel right and it feels like I am just pulling the piston over - kind of hard to explain but I'm not getting that snap at the end of the pull where you would feel the secondary spring kick in. Its done nothing over the winter and I would expect some resistance but this seems excessive.  

I read somewhere that the flash starter wasnt a great design and to expect it to fail at some point but I wondered if there was an alternative, although it did make things very easy...

is there a way of testing to see if it is indeed broken?

thanks

Paul

You can just pull it over slowly building up the tension and see if it flicks over.. if not just take it apart and have a look inside, it's a simple job..  Most people never take them apart or clean them but you should clean them on a regular basis.. 

If you need parts give me a shout as we have everything in stock for all the Polini Thor range.. 

https://www.sussexparamotors.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=375

Hi Mark -thanks for all the advice today. Much appreciated. I have been watching a number of videos and what I have gathered is (If I am right)  that there is, within the plastic housing, 2 springs front and back of the main internal circular section.

One spring is the rewind spring, i.e. the spring that pulls the pull cord back in and the other spring is the flash spring. In my case, the rewind spring seems ok as it does pull the cord back in again -but -there does not appear to be a flash element anymore, suggesting to me that the flash spring may have snapped. I am going to dare to open it up tomorrow and see if there is a break in the flash spring. I am not at this stage sure how the rewind spring interacts with the flash spring  but will see if I can find video or diagrams etc. I really want to know the mechanics of this thing and become completely familiar with it.

Thanks again -Paul. 

Hi Kiwi K -did exactly that... I needed to try to get my head around how the thing worked, so videos and internet articles to get familiar and then  -apart it came!......only to find there was no broken springs! Greased up and back together -not yet had a chance to test it out -hopefully over the weekend. 

You'll know when the main spring breaks because there is no resistance at all and the engine does not turn over when you pull the starter.

I think the description of it as a "flash" starter which somehow stores up energy then releases it at the end is misleading. There is no way the design of mine could ever do that. Its just really a shock absorber or springy cushion that smooths out the pull and stops any kickback snapping your fingers!

Depending on its hours, you may want to check your decompression holes are clear in the barrel through to the exhaust port are clear as that could change the way is pulls over if they get blocked. (Assuming its the same as my Polini 190)