In air comms

This is purely for my interest but others may have an interest or input. I would like to know if many pilots have a system or setups such as radios if so what type etc, or phones or anything that they communicate with their flying friends, or do most pilots as some do, just like their own company.

I've just had dealings with a local microlight club, as they had originally said I could use their site for my paramotor. Unfortunately, one of their few users is very insistent that anyone flying from there has a radio to talk to microlight pilots prior to take off and landing, but also to notify the nearby military ATC of intentions. A good friend of mine supplies and maintains radios and comms for the local air cadets, as well as being a qualified pilot, and he's tried to find a cheap enough handheld to do both jobs, but can't find anything less than £250, plus another wad for a decent noise-cancelling headset/mic, due to all manufacturers raising their prices because of the new international regulations regarding frequencies. Luckily, I have another microlight club nearby, and they don't want or need radios, so I can fly from there.

Unfortunately that is the price of even 'basic' handheld airband radios.

I was fortunate to pick up a second hand one to the new spec for about £230, though it is 'as new'.

I use a standard headset and microphone and just reduce revs when I transmit, taking into account height loss whilst on low revs.

Hi,

A few of us use these:

Sena Tufftalk-01 Over The Head Earmuff with Long-Range Bluetooth Communication - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01LWWY83L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_QEfzBb0F343D4

Did have Microavionics, but these have full bluetooth with siri capability, decent range in air with bluetooth. We have 2m radios connected too for greater distances. which can be done wirelessly if you buy an sr10. It has a fantastic ambient mode that allows you to hear what’s going on in the field withouth having to remove the earcups. There’s fm radio and simple phone connection with the app. Sound quality is great.

Not as robust as Microavionics but good enough with care.

96D74A91-EB4B-4EEE-AB36-4D782E211DB9.jpeg

Edited by Scott Harcourt
Added photo.